[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Having problems importing OBJ?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Having problems importing OBJ?

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

clipi

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri May 05, 2006 4:13 pm

Having problems importing OBJ?

If you have problems importing OBJ files, please use this little utility to view your OBJ and so we could determine if the problem is with the file itself or with the KT obj importer.

Thanks.

http://www.savefile.com/files/4296386
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Fri May 05, 2006 6:23 pm

OK, I downloaded the viewer and loaded the .obj file. It loaded fairly quickly. As far as I could tell everything was there. Is it supposed to show the materials in the viewer or are they just in the menu box to the right?

Is there anything else I can send that might help?
<<

clipi

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm

I found some inconsistencies with the obj import problem. Some of the files that were reported as problematic opened allright with KT. Problably the problem is due to the lib3ds library used by KT but now sure about that. Try reopening the Obj file several times to check if it opens in KT or not.

Thanks.
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:37 pm

I have actually tried to open the same .obj files at least 8 times over the past week. Each time the same thing happens. Here are some of the things I have noticed when KT is trying to load a large scene- The most obvious is the files are huge and I have watched how much memory it takes (up to 500,000k) then it switches to the PF usage which can go up to 2 gig. The next thing that is curious is that it stop at the same position every time. Depending on which computer I am using and what type of file- I have noticed that 93% is where it stops for loading .3ds and 73% for the .obj files.

Last night I tried importing half of the model as an .obj and Merging the other half... with no luck. I would load the first half with no problem. Then with merging the second half it would stop around 70%... I tried this four times last night as well. I have let it sit until there is no memory usage going on...

It seems like there have been similar issues in the past with the last version of KT, I remember commenting about how I was loading .obj files which where 70,000 kb and larger with no problems at all...

I finally, just now got a .3ds file to load after very slowly going and erasing the site mesh in SU and trying each time to load it in KT. The size of the .3ds file I finally got to load is 18,240 KB- where the .obj file is 44,286KB and the SU model being 48,024 KB.

It's just seems strange that I can't seem to load the same files I was loading in the past... and that size doesn't seem to be the only issue. I have loaded a model from the past, which is very sloppy and huge. It topped out at 100,000 KB and had all kinds of parts on top of other parts. I will run a test on that again and see it I can get it to load and then post the Console Log info after it has loaded.

Thanks for all or your help.
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Oh I forgot an important thing that I have noticed when loading, (or I think it might be important)- When loading an .obj file, the Memory Usage goes way up, (500,000k) then it seems to switch to the PF usage ( up to 1.5-2 GB) then switches back to using Memory, at this point is where it seems to lock up. I have tried loading the same .obj files with a memory 'helper' and with out. The same thing happens.
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 pm

Ok... maybe I spoke to soon... I tried exporting the the large model file I had loaded earlier (easily)- but first I uninsulated KT and reinstalled it.

When trying to export a .obj file (4 times) these errors occurred

"failed to save dump file to... (error-2147024865)

"application crashed- report about to be prepared for sending to bugsplat.." and it went on to say something about how the error occurs when too many exports have been done without restarting the file- but this was the first time I had tried to export from this file.

This error occurred when I tried to export a .3ds file...

"sketchup sdk error: invalid output file"

On the other hand, the model I really needed to export- after meticulously trimming down the file size finally loaded... but the site mesh is is half the original size...

sigh... 18 hours of testing and reloading and no renderings to show for it...
<<

clipi

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri May 05, 2006 10:46 pm

Hello Gistman.

First of all are you using windows or Linux version of KT?

Now KT is using the lib3d library so I do not know it the problem is with the library or KT. I did notice that the import proces uses a huge amount of memory on large file.. so we might have to address that issue.

Now if you could make me a favour.. go to the MESHLAB forum and download Meshlab (free sofware) now try opening the obj file with it.
The reason I want to do it is becouse Meshlab is also using the lib3d libraries so I want to check if you can open the file and how much memory is it using.

Here you can download Meshlab

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Thanks so much
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Sat May 06, 2006 2:24 am

clipi,

I can't even get the files to export now... I will try again. and see if they open in Meshlab down load.

I am using window xp pro. When I discovered this program called FREERAM PRO I was very excited because I thought that it would somehow make the files and renderings go faster. I'm not sure that it did, what it did do is give me something to watch, while the files loaded and or renderings rendered- which made me feel like it was at least doing something. I guess as some as you run out of memory your page files take over and the process is running from your hard drive... it's when it switches back is when it locks up. It doesn't crash, it just stops loading. (again I did a test on the same .obj file and it quit at 93%.

My friend and I were going to cluster several machines together, and use the blender freecd and do some testing like that which I guess then I will have Linux version then... ( I guess that's not really related to this...)

I did two different test when trying to export the latest .obj export test. Two with FREERAM PRO running and 2 with out.- It didn't seem to make a difference.

I guess this would lead me to think that size is big factor in this.. and around 50,00o KB seems to be the limit. If you had a lot of Memory I guess this wouldn't be a problem, ( I have 2 512mb 667mhz of RAM)... I also have a 7200 rmp hard drive with makes a huge difference when auto saving and Page file kicks in. I also have a machine which has a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz and 2 512MG of ram... so about the same as my laptop but the Pentium 4 is a dual processor.

But like I said before... I was loading the same files... and not even purging the models before I exported them.

One question I have which seems to make a difference in how many materials are shown are the amount of groups are in a model before it is exported. When Exploded it seems to show every material over and over, (as it's individual mesh?) But when grouped the redundant materials are left out and only each material mesh which is represented in each group is accounted for when loading the materials? I guess keeping the models in many groups would actually be better, with the redundant materials being left out?

I came very close to spending the money and getting (2) 1 gb memory about an hour ago... Just to see if that would help...

I guess I could send you the files if you wanted... I just hate to share my frustrating problem with you though...

Thanks for sticking with this, I hope I am acctually helping some.

Aaron -aka Gistman
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Sat May 06, 2006 2:27 am

I just read what I wrote in my previous post... I guess I should have eaten something today... Sorry my rambleing... and some of the run-on sentances...

oops. :oops:

Aaron
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Sat May 06, 2006 3:08 am

Ok.

It loaded a 50.4 MB .obj file loaded MeshLab v0.6 in approx. 1 minute while the Memory Usage never when over 74,000 K and ended with the file loaded and the Memory Usage at 77,856K

I loaded the same .obj file twice.

Here is the .obj export information:

SketchUp Entities processed:

Groups: 198
Instances: 289
Faces: 125771
Materials: 101
Textures: 28

OBJ Entities exported:

Faces: 338697
Materials: 101
Textures: 28
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Mon May 08, 2006 1:39 am

<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Wed May 10, 2006 9:42 pm

Any thughts what might be the issue?
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 10, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi Gistman

There is some thing that makes me wonder . There is an other member of the forum who have a similar problems with some file ( don’t remember right now if it was also obj files ) . When he try to load them , they hang at a carton point . And with other files , he manage to load them , but when it comes to rendering , they start to hang again . The only similarity I see is that he also uses a FREERAM program ( don’t know if it is the same as you use ) . He send me the problematic files and I did not have any problem loading and rendering them ( I don’t use RAM managers ). I think that maybe it is not enough to turn the RAM manager of , maybe you also have to do a registry cleaning .
Don’t know if it will work , just found it curios that you and he have similar problems and both use RAM managers .

Patrick
Last edited by patricks on Wed May 10, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 10, 2006 10:28 pm

I would even un install the RAM program and then make a registry cleaning . if it dos not make a difference , you can always install it again . a good and free registry cleaner can be found here http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp

Patrick
<<

Gistman

KT-Explorer

Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:19 am

You know after watching it load with taske manager open, I had the same thoughts. That every time it hangs up at the same point (93% for one file) and also the second cycle that FREERAM PRO finishes- So, I tried turning FREERAM pro off... and still the same thing happened.

I will try uninstalling it all togeather. It's funny the reason why I loaded it to my machine was to help loading these larger files. It seemed to work for a while but not reciently.

I too use CCleaner, I like all of the uninstalling options it has. I also use CLEANUP! It seems to still find things that CCleander leaves behind.

I can load any of the other files in the programs that clipi wanted to see if they would load in... they did no problem.

One curious thing I have found out, was that SU can have an issue with exporting files when you have exported too many times without closeing the file. Would there be a way that somehow the SU model file has been corrupted and thus it won't export a readable .obj? I have (in the past...) had good luck with using .3ds exported files. Now just about everytime I try to export a .3ds file SU shuts down. I must have sent 20 bugsplat messages over the past week.

I even tried unlading and reloading KU... Maybe I need to try uninstalling SU and try from scratch.

Thank you for your advice. It will give me something else to try- It seems like I have just about tried everything I can think of.

Thanks

gistman
Next

Return to Bug List