[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - downloaded .3ds model not displaying materials in kerky
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

downloaded .3ds model not displaying materials in kerky

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

hiptup

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 am

downloaded .3ds model not displaying materials in kerky

Alright time for a long post.

I have found a website called archibase which provides many high res models in .3ds format. my initial thoughts were to import thee .3ds models into sketchup arrange them in my model ( as its easier to move around in sketchup than arranging the .3ds models in kerkythea) and then export the whole thing to kerkythea to render.

I am running into two problems.

Sketchup: the model shown on the website has very nice textures and materials applied to it, the zip file even contains another zip file listing the materials in a tga file format. However when i import the .3ds model into sketchup it simply is imported as a model, no textures, no materials no nothing.

3dsMax: Because of the inability of sketchup to apply the materials for some reason i figured i would simply import the model into kerkythea. However yet again, the materials are not showing up in kerkythea.

Please tell me what i am missing as i would love to take advantage of these high quality models in my renderings. Am i supposed to be repainting the model with the provided tga image files? Are materials not saved onto .3ds models? Are they saved as seperate files and you somehow have to reapply them.

I am really clueless as to what is going on, I am not familar with .3ds files so i am sure i am missing a big picture issue.

Thanks in advance.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:55 am

is the material file in the same file alongside the .3ds?

I've had challenges with .3ds and materials in the past as well. SU does not deal well with them, I'd bring them straight into KT (being sure the .tga is in the same file alongside the .3ds.)

<<

Johny 5

KT-Warrior

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:09 am

XP/SU/KT/CoreDuo Centrino 2.2Ghz/2 Gb RAM/ Mobile Intel 945GM Express
<<

hiptup

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:15 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

hiptup, can you post a link to the offending .3ds file please?

Return to 3dsMax