[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - mask render
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

mask render

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

claegreid

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:46 pm

mask render

please excuse the terrible render, this is just a 5 minute example scene for clarification.
in the render there is a rainbow colored object in the midground, behind two objects. when i render a mask, it renders the entire mass, not just what i (the camera) can see of the object. my question is, is there a way to render out a mask of a material based on just the portion of that material that the current camera can 'see'? This would make post-pro work much easier.

Thanks
Attachments
mask.jpg
render.jpg
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am

Re: mask render

:( I guess you cannot.. you should make also a mask render of the foreground objects to be subtracted
<<

claegreid

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

Grazie mille, Tridem. I was affraid that was going to be the case.
I have a theory that I haven't had time to test yet, but I think that if I made the rainbow texture a white light emitter and that was the only light in the scene that I could render out a light pass and get a kind of mask. it would be slightly less work than subtracting a bunch of masks in post but would require more work in material set up... beep bep.

I'll post again when I have some time to test some more stuff out with my findings.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

render a diffuse texture pass, and try masking in post pro using the diffuse texture pass. (this works if the surrounding objects do not have the same texture.

<<

claegreid

Post Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 pm

ok, had a minute to myself at work today (shhhh :grin: )
Fletch, i'm posting a diffuse texture pass that i did, i'm not sure how this would make creating a mask for one obscured object any easier. maybe i did a wrong?
the second image is one where i disabled all the lights then changed the rainbow mat to a flat white emitter and rendered a light pass. instant win. a bit of a work around, but got what i needed.
hopefully this obscure little tip can help some other kerk-ites out there :D

and thanks again for the help!
Attachments
diffuse texture pass.jpg
light render mod.jpg
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 pm

well, if you were using Twilight for SketchUp, you can easily select the objects blocking the object you wish for the mask and render the mask for those objects or components. This is not so easy in KT as it doesn't recognize groups, or rendering only of selected objects.
Thea render has a "Material ID" render pass which does what you want - creates a "smart mask" of sorts.
in short, you can't do in KT what you are asking, except by some creative work-arounds involving repainting objects in your scene (not handy in complex scenes)

Return to Tutorials