[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - 2008 - Network Rendering - How to set up a network rendering
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

2008 - Network Rendering - How to set up a network rendering

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri May 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Image might clear a bit, but just amount of last missing contribution.
<<

qkarmark

Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:15 pm

This entire forum community is a godsend in getting better results in actual render quality. However, being that I've using KT for maybe four months, it was soon apparent that I'd need help with speed, after getting many of the 'settings' worked out. And now I'm so happy to finally find this networking tutorial, but alas, I can't follow along. If that means I am too much of a networking / hardware noob to understand all the terminology, so be it. However, given that its been almost a year and a half since this topic was introduced, you'd think it would have been replaced or augmented with something better / more user friendly, like a walkthru video? Or a simple PPT document that illustrates what the screens and dialog boxes need to say? Sorry if these comments sound demanding, but Blaw789 had a really great question ("...quad core is doing roughly 50% of the work which makes sense"), that obviously had never been addressed/answered before now.

As far as my specific concerns are, I have potential access to roughly 100 machines that 'could' be farmed (assuming full admin access), but in reality I could see perhaps only four or five machines (both XP and Mac OS X) being utilized in the short-term. More specifically, I work in a Marketing department (at a large software company) that has two Mac Pro towers and three DELL-XP towers.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 am

net rendering with KT .
I use it typically on 5 machines or less, only for fly-thrus... not stills.

agree with you with all your points... life could be better in the net rendering department with KT... and with the tuts. :lol:

<<

qkarmark

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:19 am

Well, you already have a wiki built into your Joomla framework: how much effort would it take for three or four of you chaps to develop some collaborative documentation for net rendering (or any other kind of 'farm' set-ups) using that?

And given that people such as I would be making use of such a tool, I could also hope it would include a level of explanation in order to better understand why it's done the way it's done.

:D
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 am

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:35 am

<<

cyberdhine

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:57 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:45 pm

<<

emil

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 pm

Maybe someone of you missunderstood/should_check the network settings.
- So be sure to replace the IP given under client with the Server IP, you get from ipconfig as Fletch described.
- Be also sure to say no when windows firewall asks you if you to block the first connection.
- Make sure, your networkconnection established, on error try to ping the server/client: type "ping 192.168.2.3" at the cmd of the client, to see if it answers at all.
- The same file: Use a project folder: a network shared folder, both (clients/server) access the same file.

Here as example my (happy working) configuration:
server: 192.168.2.3, a slow singecore 1,8 GHz (choosed server)

client: ip does not matter, dualcore 2.8 GHz (choosed: client 192.168.2.3:6200)

Methode: Metropolis Light Transport (MLT) (an explanation of the shortenings in the beginning of this topic would help newcommers like me)

Scene:
The contribution on the Netlog says 78,92% --> thats like the relation of the processor clock speeds. Commits happend every about 8 min. So far, everything worked well, big thanks to the Kerkythea Team !
<<

Lollauser

KT-Fellow

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 pm

<<

emil

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Hallo Lollauser,
as u described ther is a problem, if the fields for contribution should not be empty (after some while) it depends on ur system speed, i often have the first commits after 10-12 minutes - so maybe try to wait longer. Administrative rights are not nessesary. A normal port pass through for 6200 is enough. If u copy the file to the other machine and do no changes after - it should work, u have not been wrong to do so. I just use network shared folders only to be real sure.
To see a network shared folder with the Kerkythea Open Dialog u have to mount it as drive.

Under Windows: (this: XP prof. ger.)

Under Linux: in a terminal:
sudo mount -t cifs //server/sharedfolder /mnt --verbose -o user=username
use the IP as servername works mostly, maybe u first have to install the smbfs:
sudo apt-get install smbfs
hope this helps,
:?
<<

Lollauser

KT-Fellow

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Whoa, thanks a lot for the comprehensive answer! :grin:
So i'll give a try with a smaller model, the one i used as first attempt is quiet large (still no committs after more than 2 hours), and let you know.
Didn't know this workaround about mounting network units as local devices, i will definitely try!
<<

Duroncrush

Post Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:17 am

At work I run a computer training lab and use a FREE class room management program called Italc http://italc.sourceforge.net/ that allows me to remotely control all the lab computers. I find it a very useful tool to set up & monitor renders. I also have the drive on my master render machine mapped on the client computers. When things are working right I don't have to leave my desk run a render.

Italc uses an encrypted VNC connection to control a number of computers at once. I suggest loading the video mirroring driver from http://www.demoforge.com/dfmirage.htm this will improve video performance and reduce network over head
<<

usman94

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:17 am

Re: 2008 - Network Rendering - How to set up a network rende

Fletch i would really appreciate if you provide us a tutorial of network rendering step by step with pictures...
<<

usman94

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 am

Re: 2008 - Network Rendering - How to set up a network rende

Hi fletch thank you for providing such a great tutorial of network rendering ..but i am confused :?: at one step that from where should i stop the render first.. from server or client...please please help me ..thanks in advance :D
PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials