[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Beginners Starting Guide
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Beginners Starting Guide

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 25, 2010 4:54 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri May 28, 2010 10:20 pm

<<

Allen Brown

Post Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 pm

I have downloaded the tutorial, but the link to the model used in the tutorial is no longer working. Can someone point me to a link to that model?

Thanks,
Allen
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:57 pm

Not sure what model you refer to, but I assume that it's the "Getting-Started-Scene-XML.zip" file, which is mentioned on page 5 in the ...? :?

If so, then you can download the SketchUp model on in this thread...

The filename here is Bedroom-Modern-2.zip but it's the same model - only in SU format enabling you to add other components, see how the spot-light components are made etc. and then export the model to KT... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

jamha

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 pm

<<

Lacyt

KT-Senior

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm

<<

Lacyt

KT-Senior

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Oh, and not being an a** here, but you said there's no application in your Applications folder. Not sure if you meant the folder is empty or there's no .exe file in it.

Be sure you're downloading the Mac version, not Windows or Linux.

:oops:
<<

jamha

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I dowloaded Kerkythea2008 for Mac, installed it and now i have a folder named Kerkythea in my Applications. The content is as follows:
No application file here and this is where I'm stuck.
<<

joyceee39

Post Wed May 11, 2011 2:38 am

<<

massimo

KT-Wizard

Post Wed May 11, 2011 6:19 am

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun May 15, 2011 3:03 pm

<<

mwm 5053

KT-Senior

Post Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Re: Beginners Starting Guide

I gather class is over? Too bad it was the best tutorial Iv'e seen in along time. The last post about the Instancing Brush was I'm guessing the end ?
Or did I miss something ? (very possible for me)
There was mention of an another class starting did that come about ?
If Fredrik reads this thanks a lot for your time and others helpful advice I guess you can tell people new to KT may well be reading this for a long time to come.

Walt
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

JudgeDrey

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:04 am

*(Phew! It took me a little while to type up this post, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it if I can get just a little scrap of you guys' advice and expertise! I apologize in advance for all the images and the long post! Cheers!!)

Yes Fred, believe it or not, there are still some who follow along to this thread from page 1 to this day. Myself included!
I've been following this thread for the past 4 days! Here it is 4 years later, and it's still a very helpful place to start. I've purposely avoided the "Getting Started tutorials" so far as I was told this was the first place to start. I'd also like to say a very whole-hearted thank you very much for taking the time to do this for people like me.

Although, I got the impression that most of the students who were posting their homework during the thread were a little more than beginners, as some of their renders were simply amazing! Especially Gaieus' renders (who is responsible for guiding me towards KT in the first place from the SU forums! Cheers Gaieus!) GreyHeads, were also amazing, and a few other I can't remember their names. It all got so intimidating at some points, to be honest. But after a while, I was able to render some scenes to look HALF decent, imho. That's for you to judge though. I'd love for a critique of them sometime, just to help point out what I'm missing, because I'm sure it's plenty! :oops:

It all started off pretty basic for a beginner, until I got to the "Instancing Brush tutorial" which threw me for a loop and admitedly discouraged me at one point. I couldn't even figure out what the heck the Instancing Brush would ever be even used for after watching the flash, but I eventually got it, lol.(Not the tutorial, but the need for the Brush, lol) You see, I hadn't located the files used in the tut to be able to follow along, until just recently, so I'll go through it again soon! After this, I'm going to follow along with the "part 2 thread", and if that doesn't lead to a part 3, then I guess I'll finally tackle the Getting started doc! (2007 & 2008 editions), and every/any other tutorial I can find!

I'd also like to post a few questions, and a few problems I encountered during this mission. If it's not too late. I'm not sure if anyone pays attention to this old thread anymore, but, here goes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This first render is pretty much with default settings/materials. On preset#4 I believe, just to get a quick render to see the sunlight effect and overall light of the scene. Another reason I posted this one is to point out that most of you will probably notice most of my renders seem a little dark. The reason for that being, once I started looking at the final renders, I couldn't help playing around with the exposure and gamma settings, and I'd usually end up setting the Exposure to around 3.00(sometimes as high as 5.00), and the Gamma down to about 0.40 to 0.50. Using these values seemed to make the contrast of light and shadows look a little more realistic to me for some reason(TBH, I don't really understand what these terms mean as I'm no phtographer :oops: ) So my first question to anyone would be this...

Question#1: What Exposure and/or Gamma values did most of you use when rendering your homework scenes? (If not at the default 1.00)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a render after applying a few materials, but only on preset#4. Still very awful looking IMHO!
This is one I tried on preset#12. For some reason, the sunlight started to disappear? Don't know what the heck caused that. :? Also, it seems my Exposure setting is making the sunlight through the window much too bright? (I've noticed setting the Exposure a little high would cause this for the odd scene here and there, not very often though. Hmm)
Here a default one of the livingroom cam. Again, just to see and judge the sunlight effect.
A closeup of the upstairs railing after applying materials and glass to it on Preset#6. Still too much of an amateur to know what causes that "grainy" effect on the floors and elsewhere. I'm assuming a higher render setting would help eliminate that?
Ok, here's a render after merging the ceiling lights into the scene. I had reduced the Multiplier on the "cans" to soften the shadows against the walls like someone else had done(GreyHead I believe) My Exp & Gamma settings are at 3.00 & 0.50 as usual.
The next few renders below are from the Bedroom-Modern-2 Fred supplied us with. The first thing I, and you, will notice, is the cans aren't lit. I have no idea why they weren't, and I couldn't remember how to do it(make them self emitting) and couldn't find exactly where the explanation for it was in this thread, so I just put it aside for the time being, and concentrated on the lamp lights(mostly), and pointlights.
As you can see, all the materials are different, as I started over.(Hadn't gotten around to the glass yet... etc.) At this point, I thought the ceiling lights shadows looked pretty good, but the lamp shadows looked way too rigid. The Exposure and Gamma are at default 1.00
This one is pretty much the same as the last one, except I lowered the Multiplier on the lamp lights from 1.000 to 0.100.(Way too low yes, but the effect was desired overall. Let's just pretend there's a 15 watt bulb in there lol)
The next 2 images are the same renders, but with the Exposure and Gamma at 3.00 and 0.50 respectively.
Same as above, but with lamp light's multiplier down to 0.100 again.
Here are a few test renders I had done with the original Bedroom Model after I inserted a light into the lamp.
Again, the lamps light vs shadow is very harsh, but the light made the stucco I used for the wall appear nicely, just imo. :-k
This one's the same, except with a wood material used for the end table. I noticed the lamp's light seemed to reflect nicely off of it. Unfortunately, when a nice desired result like this happens, it seems pretty much fluky too me as I have no idea what or how it came about. If that makes sense. In other words, I'm not at a point yet where I understand why certain things work well together and others don't! :rofl: :-w :cry:
Here's Bedroom-Modern2 again, from a different angle. I had started to notice the reflective curtain problem mentioned late in this thread. I didn't understand the explanation on how to fix it though... :oops: :cry:
Next is a closeup of the shoes I thought turned out a little nice. They seemed to look a little 3 dimensional in this render for some reason. Again, I'm clueless a this point why certain renders seem a little better than other with the same render settings. The only thing I fool around with post-process is the Expo and Gamma, as I mentioned. :-w
Another closeup of the railing from the Bedroom2 model. Here you can see those darn "radiant" curtains quite a bit. :?
I'm wondering if my Exposure setting of 3.00 to 5.00 is making this worse?
The same as above but with exposure and Gamma at 1.00. Still slightly glowing curtains lol. Awww...

Once last thing I JUST noticed. You can still see the sunlight coming through the windows, but it looks completly dark outside. Made apparent by the reflection of the interior in the windows. Dunno what that's all about either. So clueless... :oops:

So that's it so far. That's my home work I'm willing to post at this time. I did do some outdoor renders, but they were horrible. Very very plain looking as I didn't have much time to implement anything else in to the scene aka trees, 3D grass...etc. And from what I understand, rendering outdoors should be done with a higher preset setting? Like #15 to #17 if I remember correctly, which I just didn't have time to do as it takes a good 30 minutes to a few hours to render, I think. The renders that were posted by GreyHead, Gaieus and others were fantastic though. Just amazing considering this is supposed to be a beginners thread! :roll: Not to mention the Glass renders done in the end, which were simply a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

SO, I guess I'll leave it at that for now! I apologize for the long post, and all the images. I just wanted to get my homeowrk in there, and bring you guys on my very first rendering quest! As I've mentioned quite a few times, I'm a complete noob at this stuff. So any and all criticism, tips, advice...etc, would be very VERY much appreciated!!

Either way, I'm glad to be a part of this great community, and to finally be able to start to understand this great software, KerkyThea! Thanks so much everyone!

Sincerely, Andre
:thumbsup:
<<

vicking1962

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:03 am

Hola amigos, lo siento pero no hablo ingles , de todas formas les envio lo que logre con la escena que tan amablemente han cedido. =D> :D
Attachments
1.jpg
Previous

Return to Tutorials