[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Get started with KT and avoid some common problems
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Get started with KT and avoid some common problems

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun May 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Get started with KT and avoid some common problems

Hello every body

Here are some thinks that may help you to get started with KT and avoid some common problems .

My image take so long to render , even with low render settings ,what am I doing wrong ?

There are different factors that can make a render take a long time . But one reason is having to many lights ( emitters) in your scene . Even if you think you have only a few lights in your scene it can result that you actually have 100 or more then 1000 lights in the scene . How can that be ? It is do to the ability of KT to use Mesh lights as emitters . That means that any object in your scene can act like a light emitter . But you have to be careful with this kind of lights cause each triangle face of the geometry will be counted as a light emitter .So if you want to use Mash lights , make shore your light emitter have a low polygon (Face) count . To convert a mesh in to a emitter , you do that in the Material panel under Advanced and there you give it a self luminance value greater then 0.00 .
So be careful and check if you have given any material by accident a self lamination value greater then 0.00 , cause even the value is 0.02 and you don’t notice it in the final image , it will act and be counted by KT as a light and will lead to longer render times.
If you are not sure if this is happening in your scene , have a look at the console log and search for a line that starts like this “ Info : Cached ___ lights “ . There you will see how many lights KT is calculating .

I have strange shadows and/or light leaking in my image . What am I doing wrong ?

If you have shadow problems or light leaking is probably do to a bad Photon map . Increase your Photon shooting to something like Many – 100000 or very Many – 1000000 .
It is very important to use more Photons like I explained on my tutorial about Photon shooting http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=441 because the Final Gathering makes its calculation based on the Photon shooting map !!! .If you have a “bad quality” Photon map (not sufficient photons ), it dos not mater how much you increase your Final Gathering settings , it won’t lead to a good render . It is always better to increase the Photon map quality (more Photon shooting) and have Final Gathering setting set to something like “Rays 900 – very many and Accuracy to good/very good 0.15/1.0 .If you want caustics in your image , then you have to use much more Photons like “A Lot -10 000 000 “ or more , depending on your scene .
very important : watch your modeling , if you model a room or building , make sure that your walls , ceiling and floor have thickness , this prevents light leaking :!:
have a look also here : http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... =kerkythea

How do I know that my Photon map is good enough ?

To see your Photon map you have to change your render Method in the Global Illumination panel form “Photon Mapping + Final Gathering (SW)” to “Photon Mapping (Direct + Indirect)” .Now you see that there are a lot of settings not available anymore cause KT will only do the Photon shooting now.(The render will be much quicker now) .The render result will not be a final quality render , but it is good to see the quality of your Photon map . You will Know if your Photon map is good enough if you can see “correct shadows” in your render ( be aware that the image don’t have to be smooth or nice , only look if you can see projected shadows and if the are more ore less defined ) . So now that you have a good Photon map , go back and use for you final render the render Method “Photon Mapping +Final Gathering (SW) “.

I have bright random spots in may render .How can I eliminate them ?

If you use Irradiance Gradients then you will have bright spots and may be some artifacts in your render .There is a bug in this feature and should be unchecked . Giannis is working on it and when it is fix then it will be a great improvement in the render engine .
If you don’t use Irradiance Gradients and still have those random bright spots , then it is probably that is caused by reflected caustics ( shiny surfaces like glass , water metal …etc) , to avoid them you have to increase the caustic density count to something like 1000 more or les ( it depend on your scene and if you have more or less bright spots ) . "

I have clouds/blotches in may final image. How can I eliminate them ?

If you have some kind of soft clouds or blotches , then increase the Rays in Final Gathering . The Rays help to smooth out the image .

I have jagged edges , how can I get nice clean edges ?

For that you have to go to Set up and in the Ray trace panel use under AA Method “Production AA” and AA Threshold use a value between 0.3 and 0.1 . This will eliminate the jagged edges of your image .

Render presets

There is some thing else every body should have in mind . When you use the render presets it is better to merge them into your scene , so you will be able to uncheck irradiance gradients and set Gathering depth to 1 . It is also good to have a look at the settings and so you can learn from different render presets and see the main different from one preset and another .

How can I merge the render presetting with my scene ?

Merge the render settings with your scene . OK … you open your scene and then you go to the tool bare and under File go to Merge . There you have a lot of options to merge your scene with new geometry ore new camera or render settings etc. .
Configure the settings the way that you only change the render and GI settings and keep the rest of your scene .Then localize the wanted render preset in the folder “Render settings” and open it , that will do the trick .

Do to the fact that people want to get help/hints on improving there renders , it would be a good idea to use a screen capture software and post the settings and most important ,the console loge information, with a captured screen shoot . So it would be much easy for others to give hints on improving the render settings or detecting mistakes. Here is a free version of ScreenHunter 4 http://www.wisdom-soft.com/products/screenhunter.htm

Hope this can help some of you

Patrick
Last edited by patricks on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 am, edited 13 times in total.
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun May 07, 2006 4:57 pm

Up date
Just added some more stuff :wink:
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon May 08, 2006 1:11 am

<<

Andrew B

KT-Explorer

Post Mon May 08, 2006 2:42 am

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon May 08, 2006 2:50 am

<<

man

KT-Warrior

Post Mon May 08, 2006 4:54 am

<<

iamtbo

KT-Senior

Post Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 am

<<

gksl4

KT-Senior

Post Mon May 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks Patrick. Very nice job.
<<

Dan

KT-GrandMaster

Post Mon May 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Thanks alot, patricks!

I hope all your advices will find their place in a future KT User Guide :D .

Dan
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 09, 2006 1:34 pm

Thanks to all for your nice words :D
New up date (jagged edges) :wink:

Patrick
<<

giannis

Site Admin

Post Wed May 10, 2006 1:45 pm

very good! i see this growing and being a good FAQ distributed
with KT installer.
giannis
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 10, 2006 2:01 pm

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu May 11, 2006 12:02 pm

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:25 pm

up date

you can download my tutorial " Kerkythea Materials part I" at the sharing section
http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/kerkyth ... =kerkythea

Greetings Patrick
Next

Return to Tutorials