[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Wood materials look like plastic
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wood materials look like plastic

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

WMSheppard

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:29 pm

Wood materials look like plastic

HI Everyone,

I'm just getting started with KT and it's an awesome program.

I've been playing around with material creation, specifically woods. I'm a wood worker and am trying to build a material library of the woods I use most. I have downloaded quite a few and I'm trying to adjust the finish/reflectivity of them but I'm not getting the result I would like. The main problem I have with the textures in my library is that they look like they are coated in a heavy plastic. The finishes I use are usually thin and leave the wood with a very natural appearance. I have tried adjusting the bump mapping strength but it just makes it worse. The results vary from totally smooth to looking like heavy bark without much variation. If I can get the settings right, I can make a fairly large library with a few finish variations for each type of wood. The basis of these materials was Sintra's wood library and the other settings are the same as his. Once I solve this problem I'll expand and post the complete library. If needed I can also post the individual mats.

Attachments
Mahogany K-ball bmp @ 4.1.jpg
This is a Mahogany with the texture strength bmp set to 4.1
Birdseye Maple K-ball satin.jpg
This is a smooth version of Birdseye Maple with the texture strength bmp set to 1
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

<<

WMSheppard

Post Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:06 am

Attachments
birdseye k-ball w cranked bmp.jpg
bump map pushed WAY up

Return to Materials