[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - translucent glass with bitmap
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

translucent glass with bitmap

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

bob.powers

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:14 pm

translucent glass with bitmap

I am new user. Can someone help me with translucent material with bitmap image?
I followed instructions in user guide: I appied a bitmap in diffuse, added grey color in refraction and set index of refraction 1.0. Accepted changes and still looks solid when I render. Am I missing a step? thanks
<<

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 am

Re: translucent glass with bitmap

There are several ways of doing this, maybe if you post a sample of what you want we can point you in the right direction. Welcome to the forum.
<<

POLARA500

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Bob,

Try using a lighter gray and see if that helps.

Richard
<<

Lacyt

KT-Senior

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:54 am

bob.powers:

I don’t know how opaque you want your glass to be, but try deleting your bitmap from the Diffuse channel and put it in the Texture channel ONLY.

Here’s what I did to get this:

In this render, you can barely see a shelf through the glass of the shorter cabinet because I used white in the Diffuse channel. I didn’t want totally clear glass.

I did a layered material composed of 2 layers.

In the Materials Editor:

#0 Layer – matte/phong:

Diffuse Channel - White
Specular - White
Specular Attenuation – None
Shininess – 200
Specular Sampling – Checked

#1 Layer - Thin Glass Material
Reflectance – White
Index – 1.520

Click on Layered Material again under the preview window.

Weights #0 and #1 - White

Now, as to Weights –

At the bottom of the third column in the Materials Editor, you’ll see Weighting. To get to these for each layer, just left click on the Weight you want to work on.

Mine:

Weight #0
Weighting - .05

Weight #1
Weighting – 1.00

I changed Weight #1 to .05, and my glass went totally dark gray! So it has to stay at 1.00.

If I’d left the Diffuse channel blank and kept only the white Specular, my glass would’ve been completely transparent and my pattern/texture probably would not have been visible at all. I can’t say that for sure at the moment because this poor computer I’m on right now doesn’t have the horsepower to render anything so I can’t test it.

There may be a simpler, more effective way to do what I wanted than what I did, but I got burned out on that model after 2 years playing with and just wanted it DONE!

Mostly, though, try deleting your bitmap from the Diffuse channel and instead put it in the Texture channel ONLY.

Hope this helps!
<<

bob.powers

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 am

thanks for the help, i think I'm almost there. How do I paste texture into texture channel?

thanks!
<<

RedSquare

KT-GrandMaster

Post Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:54 am

Left click the word Texture: Then right click it: Then select the bit map icon, :grin:
Fanners \:D/
_______

Return to Materials