[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Need explanation with complex IOR / NK data
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need explanation with complex IOR / NK data

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 am

Need explanation with complex IOR / NK data

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to understand how materials using complex IOR / NK data are made.
I had a close look at Alex's NK metals and especially the Gold one.
I also looked at his RoseGold NK mat and compared.
Still I just don't understand at all...

When I have a look at the Gold NK here is what I see :
- RGB values for the Fresnel Conductor's IOR are : 32-100-255
- The corresponding numerical value is 1.601

And when I have a look at the RoseGold mat here is what I see :
- RGB values for the Fresnel Conductor's IOR are : 147-255-255
- The corresponding numerical value is also 1.601 :shock:

How is this possible ?
When I try to make my own gold mat based on Alex's Gold NK, if I change the IOR RGB values the numerical value get changed accordingly...
How have these two different gold mats been made ?
How can they have a different IOR RGB values but still have the same numerical value ?
This is a complete mistery to me...
Or maybe I am missing something ?

Alex if you read this, could you please give me a little explanation ?

Thanks !
Attachments
Gold-NK.jpg
Alex's Gold NK mat settings
RoseGold-NK.jpg
Alex's RoseGold NK mat settings
3D by passion
<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Wed May 16, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Need explanation with complex IOR / NK data

OK I finally found out how this is done...
Thanks for your reading.
3D by passion
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Wed May 16, 2012 7:55 am

Hi anar, the way nk data work in kerkythea is really difficult to understand...I gave up a while ago, but if you can explain what you achieved would be great :grin:
<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 am

Hi Tridem,

I could explain my tweaking and what I came with but I'm afraid it might not be the proper way to go...
I've mainly tried to guess with several tries and errors and maybe the result I have is not good at all !
So I hope someone better than me (Alex or Patricks ?) won't blame me for what I'm gonna describe.

If for ex. you want to do a Red Gold :
1) You need to have a gold NK file. Copy it in KT's n-k library
2) Look at an allready done NK mat. Alex's NK Gold for ex.
3) Now start your own. Matte/Phong with Fresnel Conductor in Specular, None in Spec. Attenuation, Spec. Sampling turned on and adjust Shininess as desired
4) In Fresnel Conductor Options adjust IOR color as desired. For a red gold choose the opposite color (green). Don't choose any N-K File for now...
5) Save your mat
6) Open your mat in a text editor and write down the IOR RGB values on a paper. If you don't, you can find them back as they are RGB divided by 255 I think...
7) Add the name of your gold NK file in <Parameter Name="N-K File" Type="String" Value="your_NK_file.nk"/> and Save
8) In KT reopen your mat. You will see that your IOR colors have been changed because of the N-K file. Don't mind. Just remember the IOR numerical value (1.601 for Gold) and save your mat again
9) Reopen it in a text editor and put back the RGB values you have previously write down at stage 6) and save
10) Delete your_NK_file.nk from KT's n-k directory and in KT reopen your mat
11) Update the IOR numerical value with the correct one you noticed in stage 9) (1.601 here...) and save your final mat
You now should have a Red Gold...

Please Tridem don't take this as the regular way to do it !
What I can achieve this way is having a constant IOR numerical value while having different IOR colors like in Alex's Gold vs RoseGold...

And please KT masters don't blame me if what I describe is not good but explain us instead !
This has been asked a lot of time in the forum but nobody never ever had the desire to answer us...
Like if it was a well kept secret.

Tridem, I hope this will help you and others.

Edited : Stage 8 has become a smiley but it was not my intention...
3D by passion
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Wed May 16, 2012 9:49 am

<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

3D by passion