FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

materials dont look realistic! HELPPP!

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

avillate

Post Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 am

materials dont look realistic! HELPPP!

Hey everyone,
Frist time posting on here so be nice please!
Basically i've been working on this render for ages, I've downloaded various materials for the brick wall and the asphalt but they all look really bad like you can see on the image below, Any advice? is there something I'm doing wrong?
I'm currently using settings 17 path tracing-progressive!
Please help me, my building is already weird enough i need the context to look as real as possible.
Thank You
Attachments
first try.jpg
render 1
<<

steve6

KT-Master

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: materials dont look realistic! HELPPP!

You need better materials (the bricks are tiled, the asphalt has no texture, etc.). Do a search for high-resolution free or paid textures on the Internet (bricks, stucco, asphalt, landscaping), import them into SU (I'm assuming that's what you're using), and apply them there before export to KT. There are also asphalt and stucco materials, for example, to download from the KT library. You can also download some free noise maps from the Internet to apply in the Bump Map channel of the Material Editor to break up the pattern of the asphalt. Best would be to learn to apply an asphalt image post-pro with Photoshop or Gimp.

I would change the angle of the model so that it features the building and not the street. Also model the curbs, sidewalks etc. for a more realistic effect. Model the buildings in the distance. Is the main building supposed to be sitting on some kind of paved surface? If not, then set it on a landscaped surface. You can also position trees outside of the image area to cast ground shadows to break up all the blank space of the foreground.

Use either one of the KT globals for the sky for a more realistic effect or apply a sky jpeg post-pro.
<<

Alcoholic

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:17 am

Re: materials dont look realistic! HELPPP!

agree with steve
-the street aint that important unless u want to show a drivers view
-it is an old issue: just like in in reality: if the buildings are too far away you can not see bricks or small cladding , a commoncmistake is to simply size up the scale of the texture, u end up with 2 meter bricks...the cutout people as big as a brick etc...
-yes, the camera view , i would choose one of the street sites and show more sky ..and the a close up view

Return to Materials