[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Layered materials
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Layered materials

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Fri May 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Layered materials

Hello.

I am trying to render a room with walls covered with stone. I found nice textures at CG Textures, but I'm not sure how to use them to get a good seamless material.
In the CG web page, when you choose a texture sometimes they say "this texture includes this 8 images", and you can see various images of diferent but similar stones.

For instance: http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?i ... gu0gmalvr4

The question is: How do you make your material with those images?.
I've found this tutorial, but I don't know how to translate it to kerkythea...
Anyone may help?

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education ... _trick.htm

Thank you.
Less is more ... except when it is only less.
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Mon May 05, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Layered materials

Interesting tecnique...I used a similar one for grass that often looks too repetitive.
You can work that way in KT using layered materials, unfortunately I guess among KT procedural textures there's none suitable for that, since perlin noise and windy seem too much blurry to me.
I tried to build a example material with a simple bitmap mask, the hardest thing is finding good scale settings for the several textures (note that the two marbles have different scale factor in order to break further the tile effect).
Check the attached material, I think it can be a good starting point
Layered Marble.mat.zip
(356.24 KiB) Downloaded 703 times

layered mat.jpg
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks a lot for the reply.
This afternoon I'll check your material...It looks very good...
:D
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Tue May 06, 2014 6:24 am

I've made this render with your marble material. I needed to change the scale of the textures because otherway the first plane was too blurry.
Looking in the material, if I understand, you've just used the same black and white bitmap for the weight of the two layers, as a procedural...
I thought that it was neccesary to be used as mask inside each layer...
I must see what happens if you increase the number of layers with more images...
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Tue May 06, 2014 7:53 am

Attachments
Screenshot 2014-05-06 09.50.31.jpg
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 am

I don't know why I can't upload the image. :( I'll try later from other computer.
Thank you again.
Edit:
Done. Ps just for the movement of the man.
Attachments
PORTAL E3 MARRON NOGAL N2 PS .jpg
MLT 100 passes
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Wed May 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Hello, Tridem:

Results after some tests done with the material:

1.- First image. Your material just as received. I think that the texture is too big for the size of the floor.

MATERIAL IMPORTED.jpg
Material imported

2.- Second image. Changing scale of the textures. Not a good result. It seems bumpy.

MATERIAL IMPORTED LAYER1 SCALE_XY 07 LAYER2 SCALE_XY 08.jpg
Material imported Layer1 ScaleXY 0.7 Layer2 ScaleXY 0.8

3.- Third image. Changing settings of the material. Lot of bad attempts. The idea is to use the b&w bitmap as a mask inside each layer (inverted in one of them like you do). The result looks similar than yours with the changins of scale...with the bumpy whiter areas...

MATERIAL NEW SETTINGS.jpg
Material New Settings

I dont konw if is possible to get better results going in that way...
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Wed May 07, 2014 9:11 pm

The settings changed:

New settings layered marble.jpg
New Settings Layered Marble

The second layer with the other marble texture has the same numbers, but the bitmap inverted for masking.
Last edited by F56M on Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:30 pm

my material wasn't intended being a definitive one... it was just a example to answer your original question (how to translate such tecnique in KT), but as I said there's a hard work to be done to proper setting the scale factors for the specific model. :wink:
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Of course!! I understand. :grin:
It's very difficult, indeed.
And, I had never thought, to get a good view, perhaps it is neccesary a material for th.e front plane and another one with different settings for the background...
I'm an architect and I use to think about use of materials in the same way as they are used in constructions, without looking at their visual properties...
<<

F56M

KT-Fellow

Post Thu May 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Anyway, what do you think about my settings?(Not the numbers but the using of the layers and the bitmaps)

Return to Materials