[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - how do YOU determine material properties?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

how do YOU determine material properties?

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

cball

Post Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:32 pm

how do YOU determine material properties?

I was curious how everyone determined the physical properties of new materials they were trying to duplicate. I know we can look up things like the ior, but let's say you wanted to create a sheer window curtain material, what steps would you use to determine the properties where correct?
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Re: how do YOU determine material properties?

I wouldn't bother with the curtains, I'd just use the good ones someone else already went thru the trouble of creating and sharing. nearly everything for architecture is already created.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11405&p=89775&hilit=alvydas+curtain#p89775

<<

cball

Post Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm

I understand that most meterials have been created, but I was wondering how you, alvydas and others determine that your materials are correct. I may not need to make my own stuff but i would still like to learn. By the way I used the sheer curtains as an example because I had just used alvydas' curtain material in a project. Thanks for the link though.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 pm

simply search "IOR index of materials" online to find the proper IOR for your material For the sheer curtain, it would be the ior of the textile that is used to create the curtain, but realize they are sheer because of the tiny holes, so even the greatest shear curtain mats I've seen here, most don't typically have tiny holes in the material. If working with metals, find an index of NK data, and use it!

I guess, it's important to be physically accurate up to a point, but creating materials is more art and less science... much like medical medicine. You kinda figure what's worked in the past, try to make improvements. Use some science to back up your decisions.

I am not "anal retentive" about my mats, I just want something that "fools the eye". But there are many people like Patricks, Notareal, and probably Alex and Jon maybe Massimo or others that would disagree with me and want the ideal perfectly formulated scientifically specific material... for me, as an architect in a hurry, that's just ... not practical in my life/line of work.

Return to Materials