Post Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Noob questions

Hey there, I literally just downloaded and started into using Kerkythea about three hours ago, so I've been familiarizing myself with the various render and material functions. I must say, as a long-time Daz and Poser user, I definitely appreciate how good the most basic of lighting setups look in this render engine, but I am having some trouble with getting materials right. Here are a few of my noob questions..

1. What is the best way to implement specularity maps? Specifically for human skintones. I have models with black and white spec maps that show the grain/texture of the skin and add a nice "shimmery" effect when the light shines on them in Daz, but in Kerkythea I'm not quite sure where to "plug in" spec maps to get this kind of effect, and so far I'm mostly getting bad plastic looks when using any kind of spec settings.

2. Light maps? Some of the models I have come with light maps which are mostly white with black/gray 3D shading. I assume it's to catch light and distribute it with a 3D looking effect on the model, however I've never used light maps before. Can Kerkythea make use of these? And if so, what is the best way to use them and how?

3. Water surfaces. These have always been a pain for me to get right in Daz and Poser, and the amount of reflective options in the materials settings is daunting. Can anyone point me to a simple, easy to understand tutorial for creating nice looking water surfaces in Kerkythea?

I'll be glad if even one of those questions is answered. Thank you to all in advance!