[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - transparent rubber WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

transparent rubber WIP

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

jendrzych

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:42 am

transparent rubber WIP

I started it a little off topic in other thread, and thought, that it could be a nice shader-WIP so here we are...

how it started:
Jendrzych:
Could You give some hints how to make sth like this: http://mxmgallery.maxwellrender.com/sea ... de=0&id=64
It makes hard use of sss as far as I can see.

Patricks:
it looks more like blurry transparent material without any reflection .....
i would use KT transmittance with a IOR = 1,46 ( the IOR that is under the refraction color ... not the one for layer weight Wink )
you need to use a IOR higher then 1.000 because other way it will not be transparent ...... turn transmittance sampling one and use Fresnel for attenuation and the transmittance shininess work the same like the one for specular sampling ( lower values = more blurry ... higher values = less blurry ) . For the transmittance color , use any color you like

Edit : the above is correct for MLT and BiPT ...... for PM&FG you will need to add some refraction color and increase stop creations and use caustics when you want to render it with a "complex" object like the material scene ( for simpler objects it probably would work like the above explanation ) ..... just go on and experiment a bit Wink

So I tried and have to say, that have many troubles with color controlling. First of all I tried to make white blurry transparent rubber.
I decided to use material studio scene.
I didn't touch diffuse color (though every material reflects light a bit). Make it 100% white transparent, set refrastion IOR to 1.46 (yep, the right IOR value :wink:). Didn't touch Refraction param. yet.
Couldn't find "stop creations" feature, so was guessing that You were thinking about "stop criterions" :lol: at "Ray Tracing" tab in render setup. So i set Max Depth=max (100 bounces) and used photon caustics....
The result :

I changed the "Core" object color to better illustrate the problem.
It shouldn't be black behind our "rubber"...

What I thought (clear speculations):
1. "Material_object" object is too thin and photons are stucked inside it...
2. There are too less photons in the house :) (just 5000) but after increasing photons number, problem stays
3. It's modelling problem - objects "Core" and "Material_object" are to close to each other. After scalling down the "Core" nothing really changed.

4. It's because I didn't use Refraction color at all although Patricks recommended to do that - to be honest I have no idea how high/low this value should be. Setting it =0.2 doesn;t change too much and =0.5 gives unnatural effects...
5. PM isn't appropriate method to render such materials with such scnes.. :( (with BiPT or MLT it looks just like it's expected to look like)

6. On the other hand other renderers (like Vray) can handle such problems so why KT doesn't?

beeing a PM geek I'm calling for help - my hardware dont like other render methods :lol:

Cheers

BTW I wonder if there are any restrictions due to having right shader's energy ballance like "diffuse + spec. <=1"?
For example - if our "rubber's" transparency is 0.7, the diffuse should be 0.3...
<<

sonnybonds

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:10 pm

the images look so blurry cant comment on them.
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:10 pm

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

ysvry

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am

transparent rubber, are you trying to make the perfect ....... matt :P
<<

taulajoe

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:37 pm

thx

<<

qinjuehang

KT-Explorer

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 am

Nice...i might try too! Well, I'm not so sure anyone would spend time rendering ......, vsvry, who would use it?
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Hi everybody

sorry for the confusion ...... if you want to use transmittance with PM & FG , you have to use "photon map caustics" and you can leave the IOR at 1.00 ( only when you combine it with reflection as a layered material , you will have to give it a IOR higher then 1.00 ( IOR = 1.46 for plastic like material ) ) ..... the "Black" area are do to using "pseudo caustics" or using a IOR higher then 1.00 without a combined reflection layer ( Layered material ) . This means that transmittance is working correct with PM & FG ......more to come in the Material Editor Guide :wink:

Greetings Patrick
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

benzjie

KT-Master

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:54 am

my 2 cents
<<

benzjie

KT-Master

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:59 am

and another 2 cents

<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:02 pm

already posted a long time ago but....if anyone didn't see it :wink:

Return to Materials