[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Material Setup and File Organization Questions
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Material Setup and File Organization Questions

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

vkirchner

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Material Setup and File Organization Questions

I am a new user, but I have tried to read all the dosumentation prior to asking my questions. So if I did miss the answer, I apologize in advance. I realize that we will have large material libraries over a short amount of time, which is a blessing to an architectural designer, I would like to create an organized folder structure for downloaded materials along with my own. Is it as simple as creating a User folder with sub folders for material types such as glass, wood, brick, stone, etc, then placing all of the material zip folders within those and then import? Currently I do not have this folder setup.

I have tried to create new materials for stone using UVMapped textures, I can highlight the mesh within the file tree, the edit a material selecting the appropriate textures, but I do not see a way to save the material when created. This of course means that the material does not show up in the scene. But I can recreate the same process selecting a material from the library, apply it to the mesh and it works correctly. So I am sure that I have just fubared something. I tried for several hours to correct this without success, so I am finally asking for help.

I am trying to recreate this render within Kerky, it was orignally modeled in Rhino and rendered in Flamingo.

Thanks
Vince
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:56 pm

there's a tutorial on library creation in the Wiki ;)
http://wikihost.org/wikis/kerkythea/wiki/start

<<

vkirchner

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:09 pm

When I go to that panel, the save button is greyed out. I cannot select it.
<<

vkirchner

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 pm

I see, need to send to a library first. I missed that line in the help, because it was not there. :?

Okay, got a user library created. Saved the first texture I want to use, which contains a single color map 8192x8192, and a bump 8192x8192. I select the mesh and apply the material to it. No problems, but it does not show up in a render. I then select the material library namer user, at which point Kerky crashes. Is the texture too large, other thoughts?
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:19 pm

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

vkirchner

Post Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:30 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:17 am

I don't know exactly what you are trying to accomplish, but in my humble 10yrs experience very hi res mats are only needed for very close up shots. In most cases, your images for mats want to be as small as possible to cut down on memory usage and render times. I downloaded hi-res images for my wood floor from arroway.de, you can see it in the materials section of this forum. Then I halved the size of them, because I felt I didn't need them that hi-res. I don't typically take pictures with my cam lying on the floor, so I have had no probs with my low-res mats. my advice: make a mat with the same mat shrunk down by half or by .75 and see if it renders. if so, there's your answer.

<<

qinjuehang

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:51 am

<<

vkirchner

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:53 am

how are you suggesting that you are shrinking your material down? why should it not tile if it were larger and all of a sudden start tiling when it's smaller?

I don't have this issue, so please be patient with me.

<<

vkirchner

Post Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:52 pm

I wasn't talking about the tiling, I meant to reduce the size of the texture which would reduce the total file size. This would cause less load on the total Ram used, which appears to be causing my problem. The material panels are responding sluggishly when selected, I forgot that the stone textures I used originally were setup for very detailed rendering, and they are quite large in pixel size, and quite large in megabytes. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to Materials