[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Brick library WIP
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Brick library WIP

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Brick library WIP

Hellooooo,

In the spirit of pumping up the available library of materials, I've been working trying to create a brick library.

It has brought up several questions, though. How is the texture scaled when I created the new material in KT? Must it be a square bitmap? When the material is created within KT, should the mapping be set to UV always; or could it be set to cubic in the case of a brick texture?]

I am attaching a few images of the materials in progress. I am reading all the tutorials that I can regarding generation of bumpmaps, specular maps, etc. Please, comments and suggestions are desired!

Regards,
Attachments
brk_bwn1.jpg
brown brick
brk_bwn1.jpg (192.21 KiB) Viewed 10472 times
brk_rd1.jpg
red brick
brk_rd1.jpg (188.91 KiB) Viewed 10472 times
brk_ylw1.jpg
yellow brick
brk_ylw1.jpg (196.53 KiB) Viewed 10472 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:02 pm

revised yellow brick

Attachments
brk_ylw1.jpg
revised yellow brick
brk_ylw1.jpg (203.82 KiB) Viewed 10465 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

erikB

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:09 pm

<<

jenujacob

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:15 pm

sweet!!!
lookin good!!! maybe a few pointers from the master PATRICKS himself can improve this more!!! ;)
<<

Herodes

KT-Senior

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Try using getting the map itself in grayscale and inverted for the bump. It will show so much better. ...
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:19 pm

Attachments
brk_red1.jpg
red brick v2
brk_red1.jpg (189.97 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
brk_ylw1.jpg
yellow brick v2
brk_ylw1.jpg (202.29 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:22 pm

Attachments
brk_brw1.jpg
gray brick v2
brk_brw1.jpg (169.08 KiB) Viewed 10431 times
brk_mx1.jpg
brick mix v2
brk_mx1.jpg (185.81 KiB) Viewed 10431 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

totyvalle

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:33 pm

Thank you very much for your work, firkins. I can`t answer your questions but I like you are working in a brick material. That will be a very useful material for me.
<<

taulajoe

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:07 pm

hi

<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:47 pm

These materials do have bump maps generated according to a method I've read in a tut using CMYK and HSL channels to isolate particular aspects of the base image. I have increased the strength of the bumpmaps to 2.0 in the most current versions; so you think that it needs more?

The mats are almost 2M apiece to to 1024 maps on diffuse, specular and bump mapping. I think if I decrease the resolution to 512 and elimate the specular map I could get the size down. I am also using .TGA files for the maps. Perhaps I will try .jpgs or .gif for grayscale.

Any suggestions? I will post an example of one of these materials for your inspection.

Regards,
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:26 pm

Here is the updated material with 512x512 .jpg maps. It reduces the size of the file substantially. I can't say that I like the result more than the earlier version, but I'd like to see what you all have to suggest.

btw, how do you get the material browser to show a preview image for the library? I've tried several things without success.

Regards,
Attachments
yellow brick.mat.zip
(187.21 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
brk_ylw3.jpg
brk_ylw3.jpg (180.59 KiB) Viewed 10303 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Attachments
brk_ylw5`.jpg
brk_ylw5`.jpg (182.09 KiB) Viewed 10293 times
Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
<<

Herodes

KT-Senior

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:18 am

<<

Dan

KT-GrandMaster

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:57 am

Hi, firkins!

Very useful materials (for us, architects, at least).

About making o library "logo", just save one of your brick renders (or whatever image you like) as an 128x128 pixels jpg (or smaller, if you have a lot of libraries installed, since Giannis forgot to add a slider to this window...), name it with the exact name of your library and attach it to the files in the library to be compressed as zip.
After installing, the library browser will show the library name and the "logo".

Can't wait for your materials :wink:

Good luck![/b]
Regards!
Dan
ArchiCAD // SketchUp // Kerkythea
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2
<<

firkins

KT-Senior

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Michael

MacG4
MacOSX 10.5.1 Leopard
Next

Return to Materials