[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Material Editor Guide questions please post them here....
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Material Editor Guide questions please post them here....

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Material Editor Guide questions please post them here....

<<

Exsecratus

KT-Warrior

Post Sat May 05, 2007 11:59 am

<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 05, 2007 12:57 pm

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 05, 2007 4:28 pm

<<

LAPX

KT-Master

Post Mon May 14, 2007 3:39 pm

Basic question-What is the advantage of doing layered material? What is the maxiumum layered materials and sublayers one could do? Is layered material like 2 or more images/colors mixed together to make one?
As I understand it to this point each layer has unique properties that work together to provide a certain material look, no?
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 15, 2007 3:13 pm

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 15, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi LAPX

it would be nice to know if my explanation help you or not :wink:

Greetings Patrick
<<

LAPX

KT-Master

Post Thu May 17, 2007 3:49 am

Hello Patricks, I understand the busy part. Thanks for that explanation.
Yes, you have been most helpful.
I have been reading the material info. It's starting to sink in. It's one of those things you just have to do several times until it sinks in.
I have to go now, it's my birthday. I sometimes go away for periods and not able to keep up with the board daily. I apologize for my late answer.

Thanks for all you support,

lapx
Last edited by LAPX on Thu May 31, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

LAPX

KT-Master

Post Tue May 22, 2007 5:31 pm

<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:06 am

Hi and first of all thank you for making the guide.

I'm used to create shaders or material the "old way" (scan line render) so all these physics and optical rules are new to me. Among that my physics knowledge is poor (well, let's say average...).

I did understand quiet well the 2 main rules you explain (Energy Conservation and Fresnel Reflection) and the advantage of using Procedural Fresnel for dealing with both rules at the same time (after reading and testing showed materials at least 2 times...).
But still there are some explanations that I did not understand well enough to be able to use them.

Example 1 - Page 13th of the guide :
"Now that we have created our basic plastic material, adjusting it for our needs is very easy because we only have to give it the appropriate diffuse color and adjust the shininess value to make the reflection more blurry or more crisp,...".
Should I adjust the shininess value (according settings showed on page 16) on the Matte/Phong Diffuse color layer or on the Matte/Phong Reflection layer ? Or should I create a 3rd layer for that ?
I have tried these 3 solutions but was not able to reproduce similar results as on page 16 (Specular Shininess).

Example 2 - Green glass on page 22 and 26 :
Don't seem to be done the same way according to the explanation but give same result (apparently). First (page 22) seems to use Dielectric Glass (according to the title) while the other (page 26) seems to use 2 Matte/Phong layers. Have tried both but was unable to get the same nice green glass that you got. Kind of, but not the same...

I think these kind of things (these are just 2 examples among others) could be best described.

Patricks, be sure that this is not to criticize the good job you've done with that guide ! It's just that I think it might even get better...
(I might even translate it in French one of these days when I will be sure to understand well enough all the physics concept behind).

Thanks for all and very best regards.
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Example 1 : in the Matte/Phong Reflection channel. ( ~10 is very blurry, 10 000 is perfect reflection)

Example 2 : re-reading tutorial...wait...

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:21 am

<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:24 am

Thank you both Alex & Patricks for fast reply.

Unfortunately I won't be able of KTing today...

But I will re-read and re-work these points of the Guide as soon as possible (Monday I guess) because I can feel that one has to clearly understand and master the Material Editor in order to take full advantage of KT.

Best regards.
3D by passion
<<

Ferdinand

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:37 pm

Hello !

I hope I am in the right topic.

you will help me if somebody was able to explain to me how create material from zero and how create material library from nothing.
I read the guide but i don't find somethink about.
thank you for your answers.
<<

Ferdinand

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Next

Return to Materials