[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Make new material from scratch
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Make new material from scratch

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Nunibad

Post Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:10 pm

Make new material from scratch

<<

Jon

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 am

If you mean the texture, with my materials, it usually comes from a picture that I took. Then I make it seamless and high-pass it in Photoshop and proceed to make it a mat in KT.
You don't have to take a picture, though. As long as the image isn't copyrighted, you can get in anywhere.
My favorite wensite for textures is .
If you need more info, just tell me and I'll be happy to wright a tutorial on the steps in Photoshop or whatever. :grin:

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"
~Robert Fripp
<<

Nunibad

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Jon --- Thanks for the reply! What I couldn't find out for myself is just how the picture (no matter where it comes from) gets "in" to KT and where/how you would define parameters like tiling and so on once it's imported.

And --on a slightly related topic-- when looking at materials others have created, I can see that those eg that are transparent have translucency attributes (similarly reflective ones have reflectance), but that those that are -not- transparent don't (anymore). So in starting from scratch (this is the connection with the above) does one somehow have -all- those possibilities initially available? If so, at what stage do the possibilities disappear if one decides not to use them? And can they come back?

To make that concrete, suppose I wanted to alter an existing opaque material to make it slightly transparent. How do I get that attribute to "come back"?

Carroll

[ Apologies if not all of this makes sense. I'm new to KT, though very experienced with computers/Macs etc generally. ]
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:56 am

Pretty much all those questions are answered in Section 10 of the ''.

The only thing that I would add is that you will get better results if you start with one of Patrick's layered materials (from one of his two new libraries). These have one layer for the diffuse material - including color, bitmap etc. and a second layer for reflectance.

In answer to your last question - all of the the characterisitics can be changed at any time - you don't lose anything. Though there is no step-by-step undo so it can be fiddly.

Bob
<<

Nunibad

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks Bob. It looks like the section in the Tutorial on bitmaps etc might be part of what I'm looking for.

My other question was not very well formlated, though. Maybe I could put it this way, with two questions:

(1) If I'd like to make a new material from scratch, where do I find a "New Material" menu item?

(2) Failing that, one could just add a standard object and then edit the "default" material that comes with it and then so to speak "save as". With "sphere" it's "Sphere [ Matte/Phong ]" and looks kind of blueish and plastic. Suppose I wanted to -change- that to transparent with a red tint, what would I do?

Great detail is not necessary: I've browsed Patrick's materials tutorial --- but in fiddling with the translucence/transmitted fields I could not make it see-through, even setting the refractive index to zero. Setting the fog to 0 didn't work --- it just set it back to 1 again.

So just a pointer would help. What I'd -expect- is (somewhere) to change a transmittance parameter (or something) from "transmit nothing" to "transmit everything" and so on. And -finally- the little coloured boxes display percentage values when you hover over them: these seem to be set by the "value" slider in a more general panel of colours. Is this just "economising" on panels, so to speak, and using only one parameter in this case and having little/nothing to do with colour?

Thanks for your help so far!

Carroll

Carroll
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:39 am

Il ne faut pas désespérer des imbéciles. Avec un peu d'entraînement, on peut arriver à en faire des militaires.
P. Desproges
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:21 am

Hi nunibad,

[NB: I've written this a bit longer than you need as it may help other users.]

1) There is no 'New material' menu item. However you can edit any existing material (including rebuilding it from scratch) and save that.

For example, if you open a new empty scene and insert a sphere from the 'Model | Global Primitive' menu it has a material called 'sphere'. You can right click and edit this from the model tree on the left, or, more usefully here from the Materials Workshop - Settings | Materials . . .

The materials editor will show you a material with a Diffuse blue/grey color. If you right click on 'Sphere [Matte / Phong]' under the example window and select any of the 'Set . . .' items you will have a new 'blank' material to work with.

When you have created your new material, click 'Appply Changes' and then 'Close Editor' to return to the Materials Workshop dialog.

Right click your new material, select 'Send to Library' and your material will be added to the right hand window. From here you can 'Rename' it or 'Assign a preview'.

When you are done or Right click and 'Merge' to merge all materials into an existing library, or 'Save As' to save all materials into anew library. (If you already had a library open then the top Save icon will save that.)

2) To change the colour of the Sphere [Matte / Phong] material.

Right click the material and select Edit. . .

You'll see the color swatch in the Reflectance box next to 'Diffuse'. Click the 'Diffuse' label and you'll see the color swatch appear in the Texture Editor at the bottom of the dialogue* (and a big color swatch to the bottom left). Double click the swatch in the texture editor and the Select Color dialogue will open. This offers you six different ways of picking a color. Just for the moment click the small red swatch near the bottom left and click Accept. You'll see that the material is now red.

* You can do exactly the same with the swatch next to the Diffuse label - but in some cases this gives the 'wrong' result so I'm working on the habit of using the Texture Editor.

As Patrick keeps on trying to drum into my head - this is not a good way to create physically correct materials. So we'll take the more complex route (You can shortcut this by starting with one of Patrick's Basic Plastic materials).

Go to Sphere [Matte / Phong], right click and select 'Set Layered Material]; right click Sphere [Layered Material] and select Add Matte / Phong and repeat so that there are two Matte / Phong layers.

With Sphere [Layered Material] selected you will see a Commands box with Fill weights and a gear icon. Clcik the icon to get weights for each of the layers. They will both be set to 100% and show a white swatch.

Right click the top white swatch and you'll see a red X, click it to delete the weight (actually you set it to zero). Repeat with the second swatch.

Right click 'Weight #0' and you will see a block of four icons: 'Add Color', 'Add Bitmap', 'Add Procedural' and 'Delete' (currently blacked out). Click Add Procedural and the select 'Fresnel Ramp Texture' from the dialog, click OK.

Click 'Weight #0' so the Fresnel swatch shows in the Texture Editor. Click the swatch and you'll see the Fresnel Ramp Options. Set the Index of refraction to 1.03 (or some other value). Now click the swatch in the Texture editor and click the 'Copy texture' icon.

Select 'Weight #1' and you'll see just a + in the texture editor. Right cick the + and select the Paste Texture icon in the middle of the bottom row.

You still have a plain black material so we'll give it some color. Select '#0 [Matte / Phong]' and then the Diffuse label in the Reflectance box. In the Texture Editor right click the + and the Add Color icon. Click the red mini-swatch and accept.

In the #1 [Matte / Phong] layer we'll add the surface shininess. Select the layer, click Specular and Add Color, click the white mini-swatch and accept. Set Specular Sampling On and experiment with the Shininess to get a suitable result.

To add Transmittance select Layer 0 - '#0 [Matte / Phong]' and in the Transmittance box Add color - white and set the Index of Refraction to 1.3 (and experiment with other colors/ IoRs).

Note: If you want a Transparent Material - like a glass then start out with a Dielectric Glass (for solids) or Thin Glass (for thin sheets) instead of a Latered material.

3) The % figures that you see are the Color Value - you can see this directly from the HSV (Hue Saturation Value) tab in the Select Color dialog. I understand it by looking at the Color wheel in the first tab. The Hue is the position on the outer circle; the inner triangle reflects Saturation and Value. One corner is White, one Black and one Hue colored. If you imagine the triangle with the White corner at the top then Saturation is the vertical movement, i.e. the amount of white vs Hue; and Value is the Horizontal movement, i.e. the amount of black vs Hue.

I hope this helps a bit

Bob
<<

alexandersimanov

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:23 pm

<<

Jon

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Coming right up, Alex :wink:

~Robert Fripp
<<

alexandersimanov

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Thank you Jon, I appreciate!!
Kind regards.
Alex
<<

Jon

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Attachments
textut1small.jpg
Make_A_New_Wood_Material_From_Scratch-Tutorial_by_Jon_Westwood.pdf
(775.93 KiB) Downloaded 1015 times
Last edited by Jon on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Robert Fripp
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Il ne faut pas désespérer des imbéciles. Avec un peu d'entraînement, on peut arriver à en faire des militaires.
P. Desproges
<<

sintra

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Kind regards

Darren

Sketchup6 & Kerkythea
Dell Precison M90 notebook, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 4Gb of Ram, nVidia Quadro FX 2500M

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrengoodwin/show/
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

hunter

KT-Explorer