[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Hifi knobs ... etc
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hifi knobs ... etc

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:19 pm

Hifi knobs ... etc

Hi,

(sorry if useless, and sorry for my english)

I owned, and then and modeled a RXV 1500 (Yamaha audio-video receiver).
and had problems with materials, in particular with the volume knob :
Front face of the knob, in facts

So, I've try to make a material that fits.

Maybe usefull to someone else.

The rule is to show materials on the KT ball.
So ... I do (PM only, and small ... no use)

But it is aimed to be on a small planar surface (here MLT rendered in KT, only 1 sunlight).
Pay attention with UV mapping (in SU I use the rotation map of the #0 layer / anisotropic one, with guidelines and pins to adjust with precision center and borders on the front face of the knob before export to KT)

If ones need ... I could send my "materials" (black and silver ... I've started with silver, but mine is black)

But it's much more than 456 kb allowed for an attach (so, I don't know how ... e-mail ?)

Forgive me, I'm a beginner (only want to share what is usefull for me, ... add realistic touch)

PS : based on tuto (where the author, deliberatly, give wrong / non center maps that I re-created ... including Nvidia normalmap filter)
Il ne faut pas désespérer des imbéciles. Avec un peu d'entraînement, on peut arriver à en faire des militaires.
P. Desproges
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi lob

maybe you would like to try this circular brushed material :)
www.kerkythea.net/users/Patrick/circula ... A1.mat.zip

the pack contains a circular chrome ( uses nk file for chrome ) and a black one ( can be changes to any other metallic color ... to get brighter metal like ... just increase the IOR ) and a circular brushed plastic material ( works like the basic plastic material ... just change the color of the diffuse and for more brighter/shinier plastic , increase the IOR in the layer weights ... just like you would do with the basic plastic :wink: )

please tell me if it works OK for you ( and like you already mentioned , you have to UV map the part of the knob where you want the circular brushed material to be ( simple planer mapping )

Greetings Patrick
Attachments
circular_brushed_001.jpg
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:53 am

It's really very good.

Made me feel I lost my time ... (If I had it, I hadn't try to made mine .... Where was it hide ?) :
I made 3 layers : #0 anisotropic with a fresnel ramp as specular and a circular black to white rotation map; #1 matte/phong with my circular map ; #2 with specular ... (BTW I think I should merge #1 & #2 ...it's stupid) plus a normal map.
And I made two versions of my circles (white and light grey for silver / black and light grey for Black), with their two respective normal maps

But not really ...

1 > With the one I made it's really easy to change colour ... and keep metalic aspect (by changing "reflectance 0" & "reflectance 90" of the fresnel ramp, #0 layer).
How would you do with your mat to get a "champagne"/gold ?
Starting with the brushed plastics ? Tweaking one of the metalic ones ?

2 > And I get the "multiple rays" light / dark in X form (closer to the photo I posted, and closer to my real receiver).

Your material give me a more "vintage hifi" (pre 70's) feeling.

I will "steal" your rotation map ... and try to play with (I really like it).

Anyway ... thanks a lot.
And if you allow me, I'll bother you further with my newbie questions and tries.
Attachments
comparo.jpg
Il ne faut pas désespérer des imbéciles. Avec un peu d'entraînement, on peut arriver à en faire des militaires.
P. Desproges
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi lob

to change the color for a metallic circular brushed material , you can use the second material from the pack and set the specular color to what ever color you like ( but value should be 100 ) .... to increase reflection strength , increase IOR to 10.00 or 20.00 or 100.00 ( the higher the IOR value the more reflective it becomes 1000.00 = 100% reflective )

the plastic circular brushed material works exactly like the basic plastic from this threat .
http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5094

Now regarding the material ..... it reproduces the fine microscopic groves of circular brushed materials without using bump or normal map .... this is good for circular brushed materials that are very smooth when you touch them ....... your material seems to be also very good ..... it all depend for what you need it and the look your after :wink:

if you want , please send me your material by e mail

Greetings Patrick
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 am

Attachments
10px10px.jpg
10px10pxbis.jpg
10px10pxter.jpg
P. Desproges
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi lob

i made the circular "scratch map" like you in photoshop and i noticed it was not 100% perfect but i did not think of centering it ...... that's cool 8)
i am experimenting with some other texture programs to make some different circular scratch maps ( the more and different circular scratch maps we have the better :) )

i have pm you my e mail :wink:

Greetings Patrick
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi lob

one more thing about my circular brushed material .... as you probably have noticed , i am using a shininess map .... the way shininess map works in KT is like the following :

if you look at the bitmap intensity in the "Texture Editor" ( weight ) is for one map 10000.00 ( X Map ) and the other 50.00 ( Y Map ) and the "traditional" x and y shininess have 5.00 and 1.00 respectively .
The shininess bitmap textures control the max shininess value and the "Traditional" x and y shininess values the minimum shininess value .

this allows a fine control over how the shininess will be on your object being able to set max value with the bitmap and min value with the x and y shininess value

so maybe you would like to set 1000.00 for the first bitmap ( X Map ) and 10.00 for the second ( Y Map ) to get a different look :wink:

i hope this can help :)

Greetings Patrick
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:08 pm

P. Desproges
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:28 am

Attachments
07-07-2008 11-26-07.png
07-07-2008 11-26-07.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 23474 times
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 am

Attachments
patmat.JPG
rgbvalues.JPG
P. Desproges
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:16 am

Last edited by GreyHead on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

lob

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:28 am

Last edited by lob on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
P. Desproges
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:45 am

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:37 pm

<<

patricks