[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Patterned Glass
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Patterned Glass

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 am

Attachments
Square_Blurred_DoubleMap_mlt28_14h8m.jpg
Rain_Blurred_mlt110_4h8m.jpg
Rain_Blurred_DoubleMap_mlt12_30m.jpg
Imac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi Rombout it works ok with my test scene.

You can download the test scene from here http://www.esnips.com/web/sergiomorerasSharedStuff/

And also check that the Texture is not missing from the Material editor. If any texture is missing please let me know and I will upload the file again.
Cheers,
Sergio
Attachments
MaterialEditor.jpg
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:11 pm

yes i got everything... but i was concerned that with the rain pattern the energy conservation law wasnt correct here... look at the difference in glass. same scene but the rain seems to glow... i think because there are 2 diffuse items in one layer its not correct... seen this before... some thing seem to act as a sort of light

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm

My understanding from reading Patrick and others is that if you use the fresnel ramp as weight for each layer and keep the same IOR the the energy conservation law is respected. Maybe someone can clarify this for us
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:31 pm

but dont you think its weird that the rain patterned glass looks like its emitting light. cause when i put 2 maps in the diffuse layer and inverse one it looks much better

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Basics, how you have used fresnel ramp and so, are ok. But looks like you have used 100% white + texture in transmitance chanel. I believe that it will breake energy rule :roll: So these materials will need a bit more work. In the spirit of original.... perhaps something like attached would work. Or you could look on http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... lass#66223

If you wish I can remove the original material from ftp site, untill it's fixed. Just let me know.
Attachments
SergioPatternedGlassFIX.mat.zip
(212.75 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 pm

hi notorial... i looked at that fritt glass way long back... there are some problems with the different setups... cause if the mesh is organic i wont work with a tile texture ramp.

my change was that instead of 100% white, i added another texture and inverse that one. Today i was thinking about putting the 2 in different layers, sort of what you did.

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you guys for your wonderful feedback, which is most appreciated :D . I'm currently doing some test based on the sample Notareal send me and will remake the library.

So Notareal, please remove the original link until I post the fixed version. This forum never ceased to amaze me. Learning new things every day ...and the generosity of people with their time and knowledge sharing!!!

Thank you guys. Just be a little patience and I will fix the libray in the next two days. I'm certainly up for having materials that are physically correct.
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm

btw, you might want to inverse layer #0 weights if result is not what you expect... anyhow reference images of real material would help too in cases like this. Not sure if these patterns where made with etching, sandblast, carving... or if they where frit, tape,...
<<

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:19 pm

This is the info I got from a manufacturer

This a picture of one of them. The type I have been attempting to make is quite common and is embossed to the touch
Attachments
200810917450[1].jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:22 pm

"flat glass with embossed patterns". I think this might require a bit different approach... I believe that a high quality bump map or a normal map would do the trick, no need for transmitance.
<<

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:13 pm

I have done some tests with different settings to compare with a picture of the actual glass. If we omitt the transmittance channel then we lose the frosted effect and becomes a different class of glass. I believe that the best results (closer to the original) is with the transmittance and the bump map enable based on the layer organisation suggested by notareal to respect the energy conservation Please let me know what you think and I will rebuild the library.

Thank you for your help
Attachments
Rain[1].jpg
PatternedwithBumpMap.jpg
Patterned_no_BumpMap.jpg
<<

Sergio

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:15 pm

Tha last image with no transmittance
Attachments
PatternedBump_No_Transmittance.jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Quess it will need some transittance after all.
<<

raveled

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:52 am

PreviousNext

Return to Materials