[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Slate Headaches
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Slate Headaches

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

mcginnly2

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Slate Headaches

Hi,
I'm looking to create a slate tile floor something like one of .

This is my first attempt at a complex layered material, and having spent 3 days of hair pulling, I can probably recite chapter and verse from the MEG, and am starting to get some ok results, but phew! it's got complicated. I've not added too much colour at the moment - the idea is to get the texture and specular right and then add some colour.

I attach my current material library and some images.

There's 2 basic material bases which both use masking to create a shiny tile and a dull tile and then mix them up -
#1. Slate Blue 1 uses a combination of image maps and procedurals.
#2. Procedural Slate uses just procedurals (you'll need the procedural add-in that includes the brick procedural from )

I've a few questions:-
1. I've attached the material structure for Slate Blue 1 below. The MEG says that if we are using fresnel weighting with diffuse and specular elements, that the specular component should be 100% white. I've used a map and procedural because I want more variation than just the fresnel effect alone - does this break the law of conservation of energy? If so, how might I still get the effect I want and not break the law.
2. The procedural material is hellishly difficult to scale as there's nothing in it to using the bitmap scaling tool with. So I have to adjust the scale of about 6 different brick procedurals within the material itself - is there an easier way?
3. The procedural texture seems to work fine when applied to a cube, but if I apply it to a ground plan, it doesn't work - any idea why?

Many thanks for a great programme, to say it has hidden depths is the undestatement of the year :-)

Edit: Material library is available from
Attachments
Blue slate bitmap normal.jpg
Blue slate 1
slate blue 1.jpg
Blue slate 1
material question.jpg
Material structure diagram
Last edited by mcginnly2 on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

mcginnly2

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:17 pm

here's the procedural slate
Attachments
procedural slate.jpg
Procedural slate
<<

mcginnly2

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Oh I forgot to ask as well -
1. IOR=index of refraction - how can opaque objects refract? do they just cut them extremely thin and then do the tests?
2. Any idea what the IOR is of slate, or do we look at the constituent minerals eg. quartz, muscovite and do a rough average.
3. I've used a combination of IOR values and material 'shinniness' to get the shinniness I want - obviously not very scientific. Presumably, the IOR is effecting the fresnel effect and the shinniness is effecting the fuzziness of the reflections. Should I be using real IOR values (say 1.5 for quartz and muscovite) and increasing the shinniness to get the 'specular' spread I'm after?

Edit: I may have worked this out - using IOR=1.52 and changing the shinniness works. And a 100% specular value with the image map and procedural on the shininess map setting seems to be working (2 passes of MLT and it looks promising - I'll keep you posted)

Return to Materials