[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Import a model from Rhino
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Import a model from Rhino

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:52 pm

use 'search' at the top of your forum screen ;)

look up 'studio' or 'photography' or 'hdr'

<<

Dennie

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:09 am

What button do you mean?
haha :lol: , I already searched but really couldn't find it.. :oops:
Tried it again on the words you suggested but didn't get any result..
<<

RAYMAN

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

Studuo probes...

I posted some studio probes under the name studio Hdr and lightent hdr
in the materials section... arround half way down on the index page now !
Peter
<<

Dennie

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks I really couldn't find them. :oops:
Thanks!
<<

hunter

KT-Explorer

Post Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 pm

hi, i'm new. first, let me apologize for reviving a semi-dead thread, but i'm wondering if anyone has made anymore progress than what seemed like semi-satisfactory results from one user in importing from rhino to kt. i'm one of a decent sized group of architecture students at virginia tech who all use rhino. most of us have flamingo for use as a renderer but we're always looking for something better. i'm mostly hoping for some progress because i'd like to run some renders with kt and compare them to my previous flamingo renders.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 pm

Hi theorig, :welcome:

did you see ?
and the one below it where Dennie said he exports fine with textures from Rhino and opens the .3ds in KT?

other than that, someone will need to write either an exporter for Rhino, or write a program to import KT using the TheaSDK...

<<

hunter

KT-Explorer

Post Wed May 21, 2008 11:57 pm

i apparently missed that one. my bad, and good catch haha. thanks. i'll give it a try sometime, currently my computer refuses to boot up and i've not ordered a new one. the other one has served its time.
<<

Moose

KT-Warrior

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:19 pm

It maybe something I am missing, but the big problems with exporting .obj or .3dm from Rhino or (MoI for that matter) is as follows:

- The number of objects created in Kerky is large (every object is exported as a diferent entity evenif it shares same material as others)
- It's an incredibly tedious task to go through all object and trying to figure out which is which (and yes I tried renaming them in Kerky)
- The most important thing is that cameras do not get exported so I end up with a model that is sooo extremely hard to orbit and almost impossible to place my camera the way I want to in Kerky. And when you try zooming in the model lines sart disappearing

so am I really missing something????
<<

Dennie

KT-Warrior

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:27 am

It is some time ago :oops: haha About a year..
@moose
I also discovered this problem. A (laborious) solution is to name all objects in Rhino and group the ones with similar names in KT. Then it becomes possible to edit all objects at ones. It is not efficient but it does the job.

Another problem is the 3DS export. In OBJ you get lots of objects in 3DS you get layers. So it should be possible to materialize layers in Rhino and use the material by layer option. Export to KT and :P

Dennis
<<

majid

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:45 am

I strongly need an exporter from Rhino to KT that works smooth, plz :)
<<

euvolemic

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Import a model from Rhino

The .3DS format works reasonably well it just takes a good deal of prep-work in rhino.

when you are ready to export :

1 Mesh all nurbs.
2 Join all meshes that have the same material and same texture mapping.
3 Name each mesh for easy identification in KT
4 Select all meshes and export to KT via .3DS
<<

majid

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:56 pm

](*,) sometimes the 3ds exporter is not working well and I have a jagged mesh
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:10 pm

@majid, I simply don't see how exporter would become available as it's long when anyone has implicated the interest to white a exporter for KT. What about using .obj or some other program (SU) as a middle man.
Thea Render and Kerkythea Rendering System, by Solid Iris Technologies
<<

majid

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:25 pm

:D Will try it soon. as I had a bed model and while exporting as 3ds, it was verry jaggy, so I toke it apart and used another model. maybe later take it a try :)
<<

euvolemic

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm

@majid,

.3ds is the best rhino-KT option
If you have varying degrees of curved surfaces / surface complexity You need to mesh all your nurbs prior to exporting.
Click the nurbs surface and type in mesh .. from here you can choose how complex (smooth) or simple ( jagged) the resulting mesh will be.
Previous

Return to Wish List