[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Model grouping
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Model grouping

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

psiho

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:12 pm

Model grouping

<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:25 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 24, 2008 9:48 pm

psiho, I support Patrick, it is important to remember that because something doesn't work the way you would expect it to work does not mean it's a 'bug'.

at the same time, there are a hundred improvements that can be made to almost anything... so that one could improve the implementation of grouping in KT is understood. ;)

drag-n-drop an object into a group would be good!

select several objects in the list - right click - group - name the group. enjoy. I don't see a problem here.

to remove something from a group... you must ungroup them all, then select the objects in the list you want grouped... group again... not exactly the smoothest, but not 'useless' by any stretch of the imagination.

<<

psiho

Post Sat May 24, 2008 10:15 pm

sorry if I sounded offensive. That was not my intention. Maybe my bad english sounds like that. Anyway, if you read my post, you'll see that I'm also not sure about calling this grouping issues a bug. Also, I posted in WishList and not buglist so I hope that part was clear.

I belive problem was when I mentioned "and with few bugs arround" without explaining. But as I said, this post was in Wishlist and I didn't want to post bug reports here. Espetially before being able to write "steps to reproduce". Since it is midnight here I'm not able to do it right now (very sleepy now) but I had issues with certain models loosing material assignments after playing with group/ungroup (together with naming groups the same names). Again, I will post bugreport as soon as I make "steps to reproduce".

Now Fletch, if I can also comment your suggestions (workarrounds) usage of grouping... ungroup and then group is not so easy if you have hundreds of materials and use 2 levels of grouping. Imagine moving one model from one subgroup to another subgroup... not worth it. I did it a few times and then just left it as it is.

Also, I guess alot of us use SU and KT export. Consider that workflow. We often go back to SU to change some mashes and then use KT's "merge" feature to update only meshes. Try that on grouped models... you will end up with duplicates of all models that are in groups.
...Actually one instance is empty and one contains meshes. I found that only after ungrouping original groups because "select" does not work on grouped models.

Now are those bugs or features? Thin line. But I decided to go with Wishlist and not buglist.
<<

Avariant

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 24, 2008 10:57 pm

It's important to remember that grouping is a new feature in KT 2008. It definitely could use improvement along the lines of your suggestions and the things Fletch elaborated on. But, it is already a very useful feature. Your wishlist, psiho, is completely reasonable. Just refrain from comments like 'not usable'. ;)
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat May 24, 2008 11:54 pm

<<

psiho

Post Sun May 25, 2008 10:36 am

<<

psiho

Post Sun May 25, 2008 10:51 am

<<

Avariant

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun May 25, 2008 4:20 pm

One thing came to mind: KT groups thinks by material, rather than "object" If you have "Apply to same name materials" checked in the material editor, there may be some odd merge behavior.

If you want to keep your objects completely separate, in the Material Edit dialog, make sure "Apply to same name materials" is unchecked. I'm going out on a limb here; I haven't tested it this, but it might help.

Anyway, I think your suggestions for improving grouping are good. It would be great to be able to drag and drop between groups. :)

EDIT: I just tried your description, and I get it! :) You are right, when grouped, merging will NOT replace meshes that are in groups. It's not so much that they are "duplicated", it's just they aren't replaced. I don't know whether this is intentional or not, but I don't know if it should change. It seems to me that in many cases you wouldn't want to replace meshes that are in groups.
<<

psiho

Post Sun May 25, 2008 7:30 pm

Return to Wish List