[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Need to speed up rendering times
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need to speed up rendering times

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Suzid6050

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:56 pm

Need to speed up rendering times

Hi everyone, I am quite new to Kerkythea and have grasped the basics but not really the render settings. I am trying to render a outdoor street scene but it's taking hours and by hours i mean its taking 36hours to get to 45% ray tracing :( I have a large deadline approaching and worried at this speed I am not going to have any of my renders complete. I have tried downloading the 26. Outdoor Rendering file from one of the other forum post for speeding up renders, but this seems to have had no effect.

Due to me not knowing much about render settings I have stuck with the custom settings. I really need a solution to speed up the render without loosing the quality too much.

Thanks in advance for you answers.

Regards Suzi
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 am

Re: Need to speed up rendering times

It would help a lot if you could post some renders. Perhaps at least describe your scene, number of lights, scene complexity, used render settings and so...
If your scene has only Sun & Sky and no other light sources, you best with preset "17. path tracing - progressive" or if there multiple light sources, then try preset "19. MLT". You can stop rendering with these presets when ever you want, no need to render all 10000 passes :) Often 80 - 160 passes is enough - watch the noise. Both these are relatively slow, so over night render may be needed with a slow computers (i7 if preferred CPU for any serious rendering).
Going biased way (photon mapping) is a bit tricky - cannot help much without knowing the scene.
Thea Render and Kerkythea Rendering System, by Solid Iris Technologies
<<

Suzid6050

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 am

Hello, thank you for your response. I have given up on the renders that I where currently in process as it seemed they hadn't made much more progress.

Below is a file attachment of the visual I am trying to render, it hadnt obviously completed when I extracted the jpeg. As you can see there are no other light sources in the scene apart from the sun and sky.

I am running on a 4gb ram, intel i3 dual processer on a laptop. I really need a solution to solve the problem and speed up rendering time.

Regards
Attachments
street_1.jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 pm

"17. path tracing - progressive" would be my choice with scene like this. You must realize that laptop i3 is not the speediest CPU for rendering. Have you set threads to match with your CPU in render panel (after you click "render" button). If you CPU supports hyper-threading you can set it to 4 (I believe all i3 do support), otherwise set it to 2 (for non hyper-threading dual core).
Thea Render and Kerkythea Rendering System, by Solid Iris Technologies
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:04 pm

You should be able to render that scene VERY fast.
Use path tracing progressive for final exterior renders, but if you prefer to wrestle with render settings for photon mapping and final gather, start with studying this:
http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9803

Return to Tips and Tricks