[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - PCB renders
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PCB renders

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

arakis

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:22 pm

PCB renders

Hi, I'm a total noob at rendering, so please bear with me. I'm an Electronics engineer working at Dangerousprototypes.com-an open source hardware company/community.
Lately I have been working on making 3D renderings of our boards. We use eagleUp to export our boards to sketchup and su2kt to export them into Kerkythea. You can check out my renders in our 3D model posts, (click 3d model, on the list, that is located on the left side on the front page)

So far I am amazed at the results my total noobness has made. But I'd like to make even better renders...

My question is actually more of an open call for suggestions.

1. What are/would be best materials for the PCB itself (the Fr4/silkscreen coated board), and also which material would be best for component leads, and general metallic components.
2. What would be the best lighting options, and rendering settings for this type of renders. Render time is not that big of a deal/I have time, and the pics don't have to be high-rez..(600px width is our usual posting picture width.). Any suggestion in any area, even in those I haven't mentioned is welcome, Thank you in advance.
Here is one of my renders.

I usually do some quick edge softening on the SU models before exporting to KT. I use sun only, as lighting, and PT-progressive for about 500cycles. Materials I use are plastics library, diffuse plastic, where I change only the diffuse color on the first mate/phong layer of the template material. For the metalic stuff, I use Metals_Matte_Phong A1 lib, ALuminium_02..

recently I discovered how to use masks to add metallic surface to jus the pads of the board. the board is a jpg. form eagle up. the mask is used in the weighing part to not show the jpg at the pads, while an inverse of the mask is used to show aluminum_2 on those same pads, since I have access to all the gerber files of the PCB, that is how I build masks. Another thing I added is to use the copper layer mask as a bump-map to make the copper layer of the PCB stand out...

The biggest difficulties I currently have is to setup the lighting. I'd like to build a product type studio armament, but haven't got a clue how to go about doing it.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 am

Re: PCB renders

Welcome, PCB :D
I'm surprised no one has replied. :shock:

For the silkscreen coated board, I am no expert with materials, but I would start with a good basic plastic with the shininess you are after, and I would create a good bump and specular map.

For metals, I would use the (download from kerkythea.net downloads section - the word is mispelled on the website, should be "ashikmin" :oops: :-k ).
Render setting? I would render with MLT (best for great metal materials)
For lighting the scene, I would , just like in real life photography of a small subject, or I would use no other light, but use a free photo studio HDR from here:
Or, you can buy .

Besides the , you should definitely review the

<<

arakis

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks, Your input helped a lot. Before I received it however I rummaged through the forum and found the studio model by roger(I think)
400passesMLT+BPT1024.jpg
400passes in 15h

I used NK metals for metals, and plastics/diffuse plastic for the plastics, just changed the diffuse color, no other settings changed... I set it for MLT+BPT (1280px)... It took 15h for 400 passes (AMD athlon II x3 (L3 cashe unlocked)) so basically a phenom II x3 @ 3.6Ghz... 4GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
tqfp460.jpg
460passes in 5h

For this one I listened to your advice, Used HDRI Studio-sky/studio021 for lighting, for plastics I used Plastics-perfect reflections, IOR-1300, and for metals, metals for MLT the one you recommended. I also played around with the specular layer on the main IC plastic pack..I added noise to it, and it really resembles the pours plastic effect I was aiming for...(guess I could have used bump mapping) -BTW this took only 5h for 460 passes :D:D:D

I have one question how ever, is there a way to do something about the straight lines on the board, what I mean the edges of the board are way too perfect, how can I make them more realistic, I am going for the fiberglass cut by saw effect :)

*I also downloaded a bunch of pro HDRI studio hdrs, i am wondering how much of a difference is there to the free pack you provided me wiht
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:13 pm

For edges, you need to map suitable texture. Also I'd use some bump mapping. Model itself might need a bit beveling for those edges.
Thea Render and Kerkythea Rendering System, by Solid Iris Technologies
<<

arakis

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:12 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

There is one option in KT, but it might not give as good result that actual bevel... model needs to be vertex weld. You can use "Bevel Mapping" under material properties.
<<

arakis

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:25 am

thanks, but I already found that on the forums, and couldn't see much of a difference, the problem for me is that the PCB top side is directly proportional to the Image If I bevel it that will shorten the Area of the top side and trough off my diffuse image, and other maps.

I guess I could extrude the edges a little and add beveling to those extrusions.

Here is the latest render...340passes MLT+BPT ~6h I think I need to work on my gold material adjustments, but overall I am very satisfied with the result. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, plz feel free to add.
Attachments
TQFP100bbv2_340passesMLT+BPT2.jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 am

If the model is in scale use Smoothing Angle 45 and Thickness 0.010 (to 0.025) for Bevel Mapping. Also apply "Modeling > Vertex Welding" and "Smooth > Flat" (Except later should not be used if your model has other than a rectangular form).
<<

arakis

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

Attachments
kertt.kzx
(562 KiB) Downloaded 686 times
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Scene is indeed out of scale. A correct sale is crustal for a correct render result, abortion, light attenuation... pretty much every effect do relay a correct physical scale. Fixing the scale is best to do in the modelling app. For the reference, a small square in Kerkythea ground grid is 1x1 meters (measures in KT are based on SI units, metric base). Also seems that models are not vertex weld.
<<

arakis

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 pm

the problem is that the PCB is 5cmX 5cm, and when I insert the proper scale from the modeling software, I cant setup the camera right, it doesn't swivel/move around at that high a close up.
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:24 pm

Not sure what might be your issue, but I never had problems when setting cameras in SU, If I been modelling with correct scale. The trick is to use Components for modelling. Start with a proper template for a small scale model and create a component of 5x5 cm board without any details. Set a view. Now make a duplicate of your board and scale it 100x. Add all details into that up scaled duplicate and when ready delete it. Now your properly scaled model has all needed details and correct camera...

Naturally your can set cameras also in KT. Just use Insert Cursor Frame and Insert Camera; after you have inserted camera, you can move and edit it to any position. Also Insert Viewer Frame can be used, but I feel it's harder to control.
<<

arakis

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:13 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 pm

The view frame quite poor for camera control. Better just move the camera with gizmos.

Return to Tips and Tricks