[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - transparent curtain problem
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

transparent curtain problem

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

KT-Fellow

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:53 pm

transparent curtain problem

hey could somebody give a tip!? i perform hobby exercises in self educational purposes in sketchup and kt
and found problem with physical correctness of thin curtain
i suppose it should have ior like 1.001 fo example but looks bad while alternatively i just use ior 1.000 and emulate softness with sun.
at home have no such stuff to check how it looks

also interested if there is another way to have dense shadows with out lowering aa threshold to 0!?

thank you for attention. help is appreciated!
Attachments
Image2.jpg
Image1.jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:01 am

Re: transparent curtain problem

It's impossible to tell what's happening, just by looking the render, a example scene would help... or at-least screenshots from material and render settings. IOR 1.001 or (or 1.0) is IOR for AIR, certanly not physically correct IOR for a curtain, but I think it really does not matter in this kind of material, so you can use 1 if you just try to fake the material.
You could look on this curtain material by massimo, maybe it will work better
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10109&p=83167&hilit=curtain#p83167
or just use a simple "Matte/Phong" material with Diffuse color set to 80% and Translucent and Refraction color each set to 40%, or some variance for that.
Thea Render and Kerkythea Rendering System, by Solid Iris Technologies
<<

KT-Fellow

Post Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:02 pm

thanks! i guess ior is for solid surface while curtain is a net-if apply 1.01 it behaves like plastic and looks bad.
also found that for good shadows just high or fine aa settings are needed
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:22 pm

A shear curtain would still cast a shadow, not like the air ior 1.0. so I am not sure exactly why there's even an issue.
Shear curtains are one of the most difficult materials to create from scratch, and it's better to use the ones by Massimo or by Alvydas, simply search their name and the terms "curtain material" with the forum search.

<<

KT-Fellow

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:44 pm

thanks again! i tried massimo's curtain -think it's overkilling. created lightbox and based on test bounces
i decided to add just a bit of transparency and refraction while ior 1.0 and increase sun radius-don't know if correct but looks ok

can't upload this box -it says file is too big(8mb) looks like this:
Attachments
box3.jpg
box2.jpg
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I don't know about the full physical accuracy of the material used, doubt I could tell you even if I saw it.
I'd decrease light strength, and adjust camera exposure.

<<

KT-Fellow

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:50 pm

thanks, Fletch! i attached progress to corresponding forum branch -you can check "medium room"

Return to Tips and Tricks