[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Printing the rendering, how to do it justice?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Printing the rendering, how to do it justice?

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Hausman

Post Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Printing the rendering, how to do it justice?

Hello,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this topic has already been adressed, but I couldn't find anything on it. I am slowly getting the grips on making nice renderings. For the presentations I have made thus far I have gotten great feedback on my renderings, but my personal opinion is that they look way better on screen. So, are there any tips or tricks on how to make the transfer from screen to print?

What I know this far is of cource that the rendering needs a high resolution. When rendering in Revit I get to choose dots per inch (DPI) for my print rendering. Is this option available in Kerkythea too? Another thing is of course that I convert the color mode of my renderings from RGB to CMYK in Photoshop. But in spite of this, I think my printed renderings still have this light glimmering of rainbow colors all over them when I study them closely. Is this to be expected, or am I doing something wrong? My biggest problem is however that everything looks much darker on print than on screen. So when the rendering looks prefect on screen I usually make it a lot brighter. This makes it look crap on screen, but better on print. This method works, but still feels like working in blind, as I haven't got a clue how bright I should make the rendering. Night renderings are the worst. When I print them they always become too dark, or even blue, despite making them very bright in Photoshop first. Any tips or tricks on this?
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: Printing the rendering, how to do it justice?

<<

steve6

KT-Master

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:51 pm

A formula which might help you is screen resolution over dpi equals print size. So a resolution of 3000 printed at 300 dpi would come out to 10 inches. Obviously a screen image can get away with a far lower ppi than a printed image can.
<<

meylo

Post Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 am

Here's how I like to get my width and height right on a render if I want to go to print with it.

First you need to know your final print size. Let's say 10"x8". Standard print resolution is 300 dpi. That also is a good resolution for sending images to say Walgreens to print.

The quick and easy way to determine the pixel based resolution is to use Photoshop. Open up a new document and make sure your dimensions are set to inches. Enter 10" for the width and 8" for the height. Then be sure to enter 300 for the resolution. DON'T HIT ENTER. All you have to do now is change inches to pixels on the width and height drop down menus and Photoshop does the math for you.

It should read 3000x2400px. That's you magic number.

Return to Tips and Tricks