[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - night scene Lights are dark
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

night scene Lights are dark

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

chrisharmon

Post Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 am

night scene Lights are dark

I am brand new to Kerkythea and I am attaching a drawing that shows my problem. It is a night scene of a multi-story building where I want a lot of soft glowing yellow light transmitting thru the glass windows. The lights at present are mostly spotlights that point at the floor. I tried pointing some right at the glass and it just creates a bright spot. I saw in a V-ray tutorial of the same situation, and in V-ray they place a "planar light" on the face of the glass- that is a rectangle the size of the glass- then the direction of the light pointing straight out thru the glass. Does Kerkythea have something like a "planar light"? Any thoughts on how to get better rich light transmitting thru the glass would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
darknightrenderHighRise.jpg
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: night scene Lights are dark

part of your problem is the sky is half black and giving no reflection
use "thin glass"
fully light the building. put in walls in the building where they should be, light doesn't shine on glass and make it "glow" the walls and other surfaces glow.

<<

chrisharmon

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:20 am

Thanks- I painted the default material walls with a white color, as well as the floors and the ceilings. It did make the glass brighter by about 30%.

But then I edited the white walls, floors and ceilings with the Radiance color/light power set to 10. It jumped from a 3 minute quick render to a 1 hour render, and the light really glowed thru the glass brightly like I wanted (and similar to real world night light). I dropped back to a radiance power of 2.5 and it was still very bright, and still took a full hour to render. Now I am trying the power at 1.5, and I have also switched the floors and ceiling to ordinary matt white color, and only a few of the interior walls have been made light emitters. It looks like this version will be about perfect and only take about 20 minutes, but I am stopping for now.

Thanks for the suggestion.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 am

light emitting surfaces greatly increase render times with unbiased renderings.
any number of lights above 10 is "a lot of lights" in most render engines - so all glowing walls will certainly increase render times.
unbiased settings are more forgiving with number of lights.

if using light emitting surfaces with biased render methods - decrease ray tracing to about 100 per light and it will greatly speed render time.

<<

chrisharmon

Post Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:02 pm

unbiased settings are more forgiving with number of lights.

I do not understand what the above means. I looked up the definition of unbiased and biased renders and in Wiki it is very complicated.

I set the render to "photonmap quick" initially. Based on your comment about reducing the ray tracing to 100--I did not know where to go to "reduce the ray tracing" . So I tried "ray tracing -low" and the hole image got very black except for light emitting materials.

Also- by you email , are you saying I should not have more than 10 lights??? at this point I have about 200 lights in the model plus light emitting materials

I cannot figure this out and am about to just give up and see if shaderlight is easier.

Thanks for your help
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Learning rendering is a labor of love, it's not a magic button. Any render engine you choose will have a learning curve.

200 lights is a lot of lights whether you use Kerkythea or Shaderlight (if it can even handle that many lights, I have no idea) or Vray or Mray or whatever. 200 lights + light emitting surfaces will not render well in most engines unless they are unbiased, that is, MLT or MLT/BiPT ... sooooo... sure, you have much to learn, and it's frustrating - it was frustrating for me at first too. Don't give up!

If you want the walls to appear to emit light, but not add to render time, set the material to be a "fake" emitter.

Well, if you don't desire to learn anything about render settings, best is to simply render with 19 MLT. It takes longer, but handles all materials and lights without much trouble. (this is what I ended up doing, and works for still shots, but not animations)

If you want to use PM+FG render settings and the default presets are not helping, then you need to study and apply what you learn -
most important for learning render settings for PMFG -

also check out these links (... surprisingly similar to the links in my signature which for some reason people ignore)

Return to Tips and Tricks