[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Gradient mixing of procedurals (or image textures)…
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

Gradient mixing of procedurals (or image textures)…

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Extremefatalist

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Gradient mixing of procedurals (or image textures)…

This is something I wanted to try from long ago and, finally, I tried it and it works! So I thought to share it. Maybe it is something that many other users here have thought about it too but I have never seen a sample of the use of it, so I decided to send it as a tip.

The issue is that of mixing two procedurals (or even two image textures) gradiently on an object. It is something that with some uv mapping can be done, exactly there that the mixing is desired. The first needed thing is to make an uv map which will work as an alpha mask. The sample here it is a simple box. I made a gradient black and white uv texture, fading from its top to its bottom. Then I saved a 180 degrees rotated copy of it too (just the opposite). The following route is evident in the images. Let note that if you play with the colors of each channel you can achieve a lot of different mixing effects. It is a matter of trying.

Have fun.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Thanks Extreme... beautiful!
Recreating this would take little time at all - but posting the actual material wouldn't hurt either! ;)

<<

dsarchs

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 pm

...dirty tile test

Image[/URL]

This is great! I hadn't quite understood weights before, but this opens up so much. Now I just have to figure out how to use multiple bumps along with multiple textures....
<<

jenujacob

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:41 pm

i guess extremefatalist got hold of patricks material guide!! :D
thanx a bunch!!
dsarchs... so thats how u add dirt to ur tiles!!! coool!!!
-jj-
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:02 pm

Nice tip. Wonder if a normal or fresnel ramp procedural could be used as a weight instead of a bitmap. Marble procedural works sort of, tested that with my thats still in works. I use marble as a weight, to mix creme and coffee.
<<

jendrzych

KT-Warrior

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:10 pm

I don't think so (talking about examples above at last). Normal fresnel ramp in based on normals directions (as its name says), so with a plain surface one shall not achieve a gradient effect. AFAIK...
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Darn... gotta get home soon to test this. What about wireframe procedural. Put it as a weight and use a white edge and a black inner color with first and a black edge and a white inner color with second one. :)
<<

patricks

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Attachments
maskt_tut_Procedural_01 copy.jpg
maskt_tut_Procedural_01 copy.jpg (716.15 KiB) Viewed 9793 times
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:17 pm

<<

Extremefatalist

KT-GrandMaster

Post Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:37 am

Weights...

Let say, in a first place, that I felt happy that this ‘discovery’ is found so important here :D I think that, as Patrick actually shows in his post, it can be used having the procedurals too as alpha masks. The weights can be used generally for purposes of alpha masking.

I believe that with some very small modifications and add-ons in the material editor it can go to a quite higher level of use. It is something which goes to be a real headache, imposed by me, to Ghiannis :D For example if the ramps become more modifiable they can be used as alpha masks capable of achieving a vast amount of material effects. It can be possible to make very realistic looking smokes, clouds, glowing halos etc. So, Ghianni do something please :D Let the main element of the coming version be that of a superbly able material editor :D
<<

LAPX

KT-Master

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:39 am

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:02 am

<<

LAPX

KT-Master

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:34 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 pm

<<

eulgrand

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Here's the result of my attempt for a stained steel. The weight map & the bump are coming from the same image. The BM is a grey scaled image. The weight map is the pure B/W version of the BM.
Attachments
stained_steel.jpg
Stained steel - weighed maps
Next

Return to Tips and Tricks