[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Fast (or 'cheap':-) caustics...
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

Fast (or 'cheap':-) caustics...

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Extremefatalist

KT-GrandMaster

Post Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:32 am

Interesting...

Very interesting. The only problem is that you have to go through a so long process. This applies to the way I described too :wink: I think that if some similar trick could be inserted directly in Kerkythea things would be very easy. It is something I am trying to make Ghiannis consider it a long time now :D Beside, the commercial apps -the high-end ones too of course- are full of devices giving the opportunity to achieve such things :wink:

Let give an example: if we had a way of hiding the objects while rendering their shadows only than we could use such fresnel fromations as masks in combination with negative light sources so that instead of having dark shadows have light dots and formations that they may constitute efficient enough caustic effects (used in juntion with the normal shadows) :wink: :)
<<

Extremefatalist

KT-GrandMaster

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:12 am

Further experiment...

Attachments
Caustics exp scene(result)1a.jpg
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Nice model. Yes the time consumed for trying to "focus" the caustics can be more time consuming than to wait some direct caustics. And something to take into acount is that caustics dont necesary project in the same line of the shadow, sometimes can be biger than the shadow and in another angle or position. I like a lot the "caos" of the caustics.

But another thing that can be done, is render a lower resolution scene with the direct caustics on, and higher resolution without the caustics. I'm testing this method for volume lights some time ago, originly to complete the "Fog and Steam tips", but can be used to caustics in high resolution.

Maybe this can be really translated to a direct implementation in Kerky, something like the soft-shadow configuration, or anti-alias, becouse you can configure the "pases" for smoothness. Maybe a caustic or volume can be generaly determined, and then with just some samples render the rest "resampled".

I havent finished this volume light testing :oops: , I'll re-take the work on that, but Im going to test this method.

I haven't finished the tests for another reason. Becouse I dont know all variables of the fog and the variables of the render methods, so, why I want to take a shortcut if I dont know the main road? :mrgreen: But this is my nature ;)

p.s. This topic is rising more questions than answers :mrgreen: I like that.

Edited: I'm looking at the Setup in the Render menu. It has Photon Map Caustics and Pseudocaustics, and density count. :oops: This is what I was talking about. As I said, I still dont know all variables.
Previous

Return to Tips and Tricks