[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - How to make renderings less grainy
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

How to make renderings less grainy

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

simpo

KT-Fellow

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:11 am

How to make renderings less grainy

Hi All,

Sorry for a very noob question...

How to make the rendering less grainy?

I see all these nice images on the gallery and they are all so nice and even.

But my renderings are all so noisy and grainy.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
<<

Pg09

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:12 am

Hi!

You have to be more specific because there could be many reason why a picture is grainy... :roll:

Check out this thread for some tips:

Argh, for some reason i cant link it properly...

Its the sparkles, black and white dots, noise on materials? thread in Kerkythea Rendering System Forum Index -> Tutorials
cheers,

Adam
<<

simpo

KT-Fellow

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:26 am

Hi Pg09,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried setting the AA threshold to 0.01 and the image become better.

My initial rendering is here:

http://www.studiorola.com/news/trying-o ... thea-2008/

I use photon-mapping+ final gathering as GI method...

Thanks.
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:10 am

Looks as if you've been using the wrong materials and render presets... :|
The should only be used together with the unbiased render methods...
Where as can be used for biased render methods... ;)

Also I suggest you make a here at the forum searching for "Grainy" should show some results you can learn from... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

simpo

KT-Fellow

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:25 am

Hi Frederick,

Thanks so much for your help. Now, I understand Kerkythea better.

Thanks again.

BTW, Kerkythea is a fantastic renderer!
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 pm

<<

simpo

KT-Fellow

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Attachments
1-small.jpg
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:27 pm

I experimented with this today and produced this render.

The torus, sphere and ground plane are KT global shapes, the diamond comes unchanged from the Google Warehouse and was merged into KT via SketchUp. The materials are KT Basic Glasses ruby and diamond and an NK gold for the main components. The ground plane is based on one of the Lis surface materials*.

The torus and sphere were both Loop Subdivided and Smoothed from the KT materials menu. Loop Subdivision adds more faces to the objects, Smoothing (at 60 I think) makes the surfaces smoother. Together these remove the edge lines that are visible in your image. I also scaled the objects down to something much smaller than the 2m originals - I'm told that realistic scaling is important for correct rendering, particularly of lighting effects.

Lighting is an HDR studio inserted as a spherical sky and a small selection of spots - I still find it very hard to know what I'm doing with lighting this kind of scene so it's a bit random.

Bob

Later: edited a bit to add to the explanations

* I changed the material quite a lot - remove the normal map to make it flatter; added black to the diffuse layer to darken it; and converted to a layered material with a very low shininess as I found this showed up the diamond caustics better.
Attachments
jewels_5a.jpg
MLT+BPT 250+ passes, a little post-pro contrast and gamma adjustment.
Last edited by GreyHead on Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 am

Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

GreyHead

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:57 pm