[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - MLT + BiPT tweaks
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MLT + BiPT tweaks

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

hiningentekI

KT-Fellow

Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:56 am

MLT + BiPT tweaks

Hi everyone,

as I promised - and as you requested - I've made this little tutorial to tweak MLT + BiPT in Kerkythea.

Pictures are not compressed, so the document is a bit bloated, on the other hand all the pictures look the way they did after rendering.

Honestly, I express my doubts over the relevance of this document just because I treat Kerkythea as a black box without knowing what's going on inside. It rests with developers to explain what each of the parameters mentioned is exactly responsible for.

Here is the ***.
(2.91Mb) *updated link 3/2012 by admin*
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:05 am

Nice work, your tutorial looks fine. It good to keep in mind (like you pointed out) that there is no optimal setting that will work for every scene.
Also if your interior scene is light with sun trough window, setting skyportals will speed up convergence and using infinite plane will slow down convergence.
<<

hiningentekI

KT-Fellow

Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks for the insight, notareal!

I believe we could create a better understanding of MLT in Kerkythea through experimenting and then comprise it in a more advanced tutorial. So, I need your feedback, lads!
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 pm

Imac 24" 2.8 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB

evos

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:44 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:04 am

Thanks for sharing, hiningentekI!

I have not read this yet, and give no guarantees/warrantees/recommendations regarding the content, but will for the benefit/review of the community.

*edit*
just read it/tried it w/ winosi scene...

one observation from looking at your example render images:
the major difference in the positive for your tweaking was the indirect lit areas noise reduction - very good!... but the reflections on the glass ball are significantly different... as well as the brightness in some of the inter-reflections inside the ball. So the complex inter-reflections are affected possibly adversely with your quest for speed... not that average user/observer would know the diff. without the comparison image.

also, in the tut, you neglect to mention that the user will need to delete the raytracer method already set up in the standard scene render settings, so that one isolates the render method to MLT

also, you called it MLT-BiPT render method tweak, but really, you only tweaked MLT... so technically...

question:
have you tried only decreasing the max consec rejections to 100 vs. 200 without changing other params to see that effect?

<<

hiningentekI

KT-Fellow

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 pm

Sorry for the absence, I've spent several wonderful months in hospital. Anyway.

Fletch, thank you for corrections. You're right as to BiPT+MLT because it's only MLT which is tuned. As far as I know, BiPT is used to calculated the direct light, while MLT - the indirect one.

Max consecutive rejections - well, it's a very intricate parameter. The point is that the lesser it is, the more is the render biased. This parameter allows to focus on caustics (values well above 500) - or deprecate them altogether, just set it to 0. Anyway, it doesn't influence the convergence time.
<<

Pg09

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Welcome back, and thanks for the bump, i'm downloading the pdf right now.

edit: it looks like sg is wrong with the file, i can't open it...
cheers,

Adam
<<

ninthearch

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:43 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm

I am not sure.

I can say this:
1 pass on dual core = same speed as one pass on single core, but is the same clarity as 2 passes on the single core.

hope that confuses you. :lol:

<<

ideas_arte

Post Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 am

Thank you very much...! Image
<<

vasco

KT-Senior

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:40 pm

MLT Tweaks pdf needed. Thanks!

Hey people!
I've been trying to download the mlt tweaks pdf again but I get 404s.

Could anymone upload it again somewhere.
Thanks a lot!

Vasco
|
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm

hey vasco,
i uploaded it here for you

vasco

KT-Senior

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm

Thank you rombout! Helpfull as always :)
|
<<

rombout

KT-Master

Post Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 pm

your welcome!!!

Return to Tips and Tricks