[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - IES Light and Light Fixture Model Conflicts
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

IES Light and Light Fixture Model Conflicts

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

kalamitie

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:43 pm

IES Light and Light Fixture Model Conflicts

[IES light conflicts with light fixture in model]

1. Within interior views a light fixture usually is seen. If I am converting a light to an IES file then is it correct to assume the location of the converted light needs to be outside the light fixture model (Fig1.1 and Fig1.2)? Is there a way for the omni light to be within the light fixture model?

2. Taking a suspended direct/indirect (D/I) light fixture for example I would locate an omni light just below the fixture to convert into an IES file. In a D/I fixture where 20% of the light is up and 80% is down an abnormal shadow will result because the light fixture will create a shadow on the ceiling due to the light source below itself. Do I need two omni lights, one above and below the fixture, converted to IES lights using the same IES file?

3. If a light needs to be located outside a fixture to be converted into IES then is it also correct to assume a small supplemental light is necessary to “light” the fixture itself (i.e. a mesh emitter inside the fixture), so the fixture appears to be giving off light (Fig1.3)? Is there a better method to create the same appearance?

4. If I use an IES file representing a light with 50watts then how does the light multiplier setting affect the light levels? Does a multiplier of 2.0 double the IES file and create a 100watt light source?

5. What does a mutliplier of 1.0 even relate to, 1000 lumens?

. I love the interaction of Kerkythea and SketchUp and I am just trying to get better at using the two, so thank you in advance for any help and advice.

-Kalamitie
Attachments
Fig1.3-IESomni_belowFixt-Emitter_inFixt.jpg
Fig1.3 - IES omni light below light fixture supplemented by mesh emitter w/in light fixture
Fig1.3-IESomni_belowFixt-Emitter_inFixt.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Fig1.2-IESOmni_belowFixt.jpg
Fig 1.2 - IES omni light below light fixture
Fig1.2-IESOmni_belowFixt.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
Fig1.1-IESOmni_inFixt.jpg
Fig1.1 - IES omni light w/in light fixture
Fig1.1-IESOmni_inFixt.jpg (11.16 KiB) Viewed 5620 times
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:34 am

<<

kalamitie

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:15 pm

Fletch,

Thank you for the help. I am relatively new to the world of rendering and Kerkythea. Would multiple default down and up spot lights (like you mentioned in your reproduction) be quicker to render than one IES omni?

Kalamitie
<<

kalamitie

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Attachments
AH_Lobby_5 (23.10000) MLT.jpg
Lobby scene at pass 23 using an MLT with IES multiplier set to 6.0. Light fixtures, spacing, designed by electrical engineer.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:57 pm

I was thinking about the first question... one thing you can do is map your lights with a 'special' material... and set the properties for that material not to cast shadows... that along with a fake light emitting plane to 'look' like it's lit... that should do it. Then you can have your IES located in the exact right place inside the fixture.

my understanding is that a mult. of "1" for an IES light should be correct.

for almost all renderings in any program... especially ones that are physically accurate (like KT) you need to 'tonemap' the image... kinda like a darkroom for digital images. Remember you are 'shooting' a virtual image with a 'virtual' digital camera.

In the render window:

increase the camera exposure (just like you would have to on a real camera)
-or-
try HSV color mapping at
dark 2.5
bright 1.25

then tweak from there.

so your next question will be the same one we all have...
"what settings look like the same light my eye will see in real life? and how will I know?"

that's the big question for everyone. ;)
Attachments
Tonemapped.jpg

<<

IFFIL

KT-Fellow

Post Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 am

Return to Tips and Tricks