[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Large model, Lots of Lights and Network Settings
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

Large model, Lots of Lights and Network Settings

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

kalamitie

Post Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Large model, Lots of Lights and Network Settings

[Render settings with a large model and number of lights for exterior and interior views]

1. I use a SU model to setup 3 or 5 potential shots and I try to delete unseen lights and modeling for those shots, but half the time I am still left with the majority of the model and lights (Fig2.1). The “Getting Started” guide talks about generally using PT for exterior shots and BPT for interior shots, but is it best to use MLT for the above example?

2. I will get yelled for this, but the only render setting I have been able to use for post-production so far has been with (1) computer using Preset 3: PM-Quick where I double the output resolution and bring the resolution back down after PP (Fig2.2). Luckily, the result has been tolerable, but I know this should be better (Fig 2.3). When I have used PT, BPT or MLT with large models and lots of lights (using 50% IES lights) I get render times in greater than 48 hours. Will I always have to deal with long render times when dealing with large models and lots of lights (yes, there are lights in the entry shot, but I did not get the lobby glow I was trying for)?

[Network rendering and “exact” models]

1. I still need to figure out network rendering, but I have not had ample enough time to set aside for it, but when network rendering and “exact model” is mentioned does it mean also mean the material and light settings need to be the same?
Attachments
Fig2.1-Entry_SketchUp.jpg
Fig2.1 - Shot within SketchUp. (People and Trees are images courtesy of ImageCEL and the car is courtesy of Google 3D Warehouse.)
Fig2.2-Entry_Kerkythea.jpg
Fig2.2 - Shot After Kerkythea Using 3:PM-Quick (note: Asphalt, Concrete Walls, and Metal Sign Wall didn't come out correctly)
Fig2.3-Entry_PostProduction.jpg
Fig2.3 - Shot After Post-Production
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 am

<<

kalamitie

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Fletch,

Thanks again for the response. I do realize I was using quick and dirty render presets versus quality settings. I will definately try to render the scene again when I have a moment.

Kalamitie
<<

kalamitie

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm

I am using Fletch's post for setting up a network render and I am not sure if I have missed something or not. I believe my issue lies before the patience for scenes to "commit," but I could be wrong.

I have opened the exact scene on two computers networked over LAN. I started the server (207.202.235.215) scene using Prest 18: BiPT, then started the client scene using Preset 18: BiPT again (with 207.202.235.215:6200). My client scene is still reading "0% Suscribing to Server" and my server scene has gone through 6 passes already after (1) hour.

I have yet to have anything listed in the network log of either the server or client scnece. If I understand Fletch's post I should have already seen the one of them listed on the other unless I have a connection issue. Does this setup seem like its a conncetion issue or have I missed something to correctly network render?

-Kalamitie
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:50 am

if there are no red lights showing error in the network log (Window>Network Log) - if your clients are green... then it will commit... but these commits take a long time in between...

Giannis is addressing this issue in some of his developments for net rendering... but I cannot say what/when/if/how... you know.

so patience is best.

BiPT, in my experience, I could be wrong, is definitely the longest render setting you could choose before it clears up... MLT is quicker in my experience... this depends on the scene of course. for exteriors and unbiased - PTP #17 is the only way to go and is specifically for exteriors... Patrick also made an exterior render setting in case you have an exterior with more lights than just the sun/sky. It's around here somewhere if you use the search above I'm sure you'll find it.

Return to Tips and Tricks