[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Making grass instances follow edges
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

Making grass instances follow edges

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Macker

KT-Warrior

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:19 am

Making grass instances follow edges

I've seen quite a few renders (and topics) in which people are struggling to get their grass instances to follow edges of paths etc, especially when curved edges are involved. The grass squares tend to stick out and provide unwanted edges; however i've come up with a solution that doesn't involve filling your entire model with millions of single planes of grass.

Here's a typical scenario;

And my solution is simple, use the offset tool to create a small (300mm) edge around all of the edges, and apply another grass material to it; once in KT all you do is apply your normal squares of grass to the inner part of the grass, and apply single planes of grass in the thin strips surrounding them, these small single planes of grass will follow the edges of your paths etc much more effectively than larger squares.

[edit] Sorry that the images aren't in order, i'm not sure how I go about adjusting that!
Attachments
Path 2.jpg
Path scenario with edges!
Path 1.jpg
Typical path scenario in sketchup.
<<

rangerrick

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 pm

Very clever, Macker. Thanks.
<<

rossgalloway

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:10 pm

I have tried doing this, and I have 2 problems. One is just really based on my lack of skill with the instancing brush. I can never get the single plane model to populate and look as good as the square models. Maybe i just need to use a lot more planes.

The second issue has more to do with Macker's solution. when using the longer (and larger) grasses, they will still stick out in to the road when you populate them. maybe not as badly, but it still requires post-pro clean up. It would be really nice if there were are way to just crop off right at the edges of the material canvas.

I probably just need more practice to get it to do exactly what I want. For now i find its not too bad just to use the squares and then get rid of the problems in photoshop.
<<

Macker

KT-Warrior

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:24 pm

<<

Quniac

KT-Warrior

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:12 pm

--- Jos ---

Return to Tips and Tricks