[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - new features: testers questions
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

new features: testers questions

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:26 pm

<<

manandmouse

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Kim,
Fooled you, didnt we :D that was only kidding,
dont take it personal please.

Since last April both Dan an me have been competing to be the top Betatester.
And I won the mousemat :P , but I cut it in half and shared it with Dan.
Not altogether bad for a bunch of seasoned last century professional mourner-relicts.

Thank you for the explanations anyway.
A brief historical overview is always appreciated.
Part of the introductional text for KT 2008 we do have now.

-- --------------------------------- :mrgreen: ---------------------------- --
try out all the buttons, observe and find some
<<

giannis

Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:41 am

Re: Bitmap scaling/rotating

<<

jenujacob

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:31 pm

can anyone point me to the EXIT PORTAL thingy??
according to fletch's early post.. its supposed to be a material or did i misunderstand??? :? i know its right under my nose.. but i just cant find it! :(
thanks!

i was testing paul russams church and noticed a few things...
when rendering the WHOLE scene with PM+FG + AA (med) i get some broken faces as shown in fig
but when rendering with PPT it renders out correctly...
for both test i used 4 threads... i tried rendering with one thread (coz its know that pm+fg has some issues with multi threading) but the problem persists...

i copied the SU component into a fresh file and rendered it... but theres no issue... any thoughts???

P.s : i used the new su2kt (unreleased) beta version provided by tomaz to export this mega structure..
Attachments
componenttest 2 alone.jpg
just the trouble maker component
component test ppt (Small).jpg
PPT (unbiased)
component test pm+fg no.6.jpg
PM+FG AA med. (whole scene)

Intel Q6600 Core2Quad 2.4 Ghz
3 Gb Ram, GeForce 8800 GTX,
WinXP Sp2
<<

ToMasz

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 pm

I have never tried this scene with PM&FG without instancing and now
with instancing. I think PM&FG with such a big scene (ca. 2,700,000 triangles) can fail. Will try it on my machine.

Tomasz
<<

sintra

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi jj,

you can find the sky portal in the basic materials library you downloaded with RC3. :wink:

Kind regards
Kind regards

Darren

Sketchup6 & Kerkythea
Dell Precison M90 notebook, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 4Gb of Ram, nVidia Quadro FX 2500M

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrengoodwin/show/
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:55 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Fry has , it KT you don't need to use a "box". You can use a simple plane that covers completely the opening and that's normal is directed to inside.
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 pm

I have find that Sky Portal does give a very little speedup. Also if one uses sky portals in a scene there should be no way for a light ray to exit or enter the scene other than through a portal.
<<

Dan

KT-GrandMaster

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:41 pm

Hey, Kim!
Sorry if my words sounded offensive to you; surely it wasn't my intention :(
Fact is that I (don't want to generalise) am spending a lot of time looking for new tools and features (knowing nothing about them), instead of simply put them to work.
An example of how hungry I was to learn all the new things in RC3 is the fact that I wasn't able to find "Bitmap Coordinates" option by myself, although I opened the "Tools" ten times every session :oops:

As I said before, I was a SU beta-tester for many years and, every time a new beta was to be tested, I received a short mail explaining what's new, how to use the new features and what to look for... but I must admit that @Last (now Google...) had an entire army behind their program and this is not the case with KT.

To conclude, please be patient with us, the older ones, take example from Giannis who simply answered my stupid question :D
Regards!
Dan
ArchiCAD // SketchUp // Kerkythea
Intel Core 2 Duo E 6400 @ 2,13 Ghz // NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT // 4 Gb RAM // Win XP SP2
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply... ;)
No apology is needed, I didn't feel offended personally... :wink:

I fully understand that you want to know as much as possible about new features, how they work etc., and like I wrote I also feel that we try to do our best to inform you about what new features you (the RC beta-testing team) need to look after, and likewise explain to you how these works... ;)

Like you say yourself... KT consist only of a very small team... All are doing this on a volunteer basis because we feel dedicated to the program and want to help Giannis in any possible ways...
Unfortunately this also means that when it comes to the documentation, it's not as good as we would like it to be...
Personally I feel that we've come a long way... ;) As a good example, before KT2007, we only had some very basic tutorials... And I mean really, really basic... Now we have the Getting Started (even available in English, French and Brasilian Portuguese... :D ), the Material Editor, Alpha Mask, Walkthrough Animation tutorials and a couple more... :D

I know that Patrick is preparing a new Material Editor tutorial, and I'm working on a new separate SU2KT tut and a new Getting Started tut... Furthermore, Fletch has made some video tutorials and it's my understanding that he's preparing some more... :D

You also need to acknowledge, that making a written tutorial/manual, is NOT an easy task... Especially not since this isn't my full time job... This is something I need to do in my spare time... (my wife tells me that my eyes are starting to look more square... Don't know what she means, but I do like the nice tan I've got from sitting so much in front of my computer screen... :lol: )

Bottom line - and like I mentioned above - is...
We sure want to share all the knowledge etc. we have... ;)
If you have questions about something in particular, please don't hesitate to ask, and we'll be happy to help you explaining... ;)

Hope this clarifies... ;)

Cheers
Kim Frederik
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am

personally it still boggles my mind how you guys manage to do such a great product with so few resources.

i should know, i work in a really, really big software organisation in building and releasing.
-
core 2 quad 2.4g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 1.8g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 2.4g, OS-X 10.4 darwin 8.11.1
<<

Extremefatalist

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:52 am

Lekonna your question is revealing :D Having resources is not mainly a matter of having material riches. It is firstly and most essentialy a matter of having love fot the thing you do. This, exactly, is the case here :wink: And, as all we know, in commercial fields the things nearly always, more or less, become a mere obligation. And the chasm between having to accomplish something from mere obligation and from love and devotion is abysmally deep :wink:
<<

manandmouse

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:45 pm

Continuing comparing-tests, essentially from lack of simple recent 3d-scenes.
From April in KTIntelB, same settings (higher resolution)
PPT 315 passes
Finished in 1 hours, 26 minutes and 49 seconds!
Results are simular, cannot remark on fastness as I have no log from the previous render.

If there is a specific topic that needs to be tested please let it be known,
preferably with a simple test-scene provided also, so several OS-ses and configurations can be tested.

BTW ExtremeF. I sincerely agree with you (on your previous post above), and generally more and more these days, I find..
and also always with a smile too.
Attachments
fifties_medit05_3ds_ppt315c3ehcm250KTIntelB_2008_RC3.jpg
Everything is in the title:
Mediterrean, fifties (a harbour is near, dusk, etc.) Progresive path tracing exponential HSV Color Mapping
try out all the buttons, observe and hope to learn
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:40 pm

any more luck with Portals, Notareal?
I've had no luck. They get more light into my scene but slow the render down to making portals unusable for me... :(

PreviousNext

Return to RC Testing