[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Using the instancing brush within boundaries...
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using the instancing brush within boundaries...

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

poordevils

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:22 pm

Using the instancing brush within boundaries...

I just learned how to use the instancing brush in order to apply a grass model, but I was wondering if there was a way to restrict the instances within the confines of the 'canvas.' I want to be able to fill up an entire surface with grass instances, but without corners sticking out into another space.

In this image, I'm trying to keep the grass texture within that steel trellis thing in front of the building. Thoughts?

Edited by Frederik: To avoid sidewards scrolling and the eventual loss of images posted at 3rd party, I've attached the image directly to the KT Forum. Click the image to see the original size.
The original link to the image is: http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv50 ... xample.jpg
Attachments
grass_example.JPG
<<

pinoy

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:25 am

Have you check the download section?
Instancing tutorial is available and easy to follow.
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:43 pm

You better use much smaller grass patch, it will stay better inside the boundaries.
<<

outofdate33

KT-Fellow

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:22 pm

<<

Isaac

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:39 am

I have the same problem.

I watched the tutorial for about 8 times now. Basicly i wanted to figure out if it's possible to use the brush tool as an array tool.

Is this posible?
<<

cronicash

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:47 am

yeah i agree, smaller grass patch used to instance,,, or you could just try copying the same patch a few times in a grid, would look allot more tidy, plus you dont really have that bigger space to fill by the looks.....

Sometimes using big patches with small patches (small patches around the edges for cleaner edge and also a great randomization tool imo) looks oky....

Edited by Frederik: To avoid sidewards scrolling and the eventual loss of images posted at 3rd party, I've attached the image directly to the KT Forum. Click the image to see the original size.
The original link to the image is: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... hedrad.jpg
Attachments
shedrad.JPG
<<

Isaac

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:51 am

Do you mind me asking if you could share the wood material used in the wood skelleton construction?
<<

cronicash

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah sure, i just used image / texture and then used the same image converted to bitmap for texture...
You have to rotate to get the grains going in the right direction. The reason for me using plywood as the texture is that it gives me more random patterns and knots having a much larger surface, and the image grid stack lines are almost invisible at that distance. I could have used multiple images to give better random variation, wasnt tht keen in the end lol....

enjoy...

The original link to the image is: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... dframe.jpg

Oh by the way i would keep that link to the pic i gave you handy as its a great free library for texture images....
Attachments
shedframe.JPG
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 am

in case others have not been clear,

the more detailed the area you want to paint, the smaller the model of grass you will want to use. Use the big patch for filling big areas, use smaller piece of grass for better detail at the edges. This is same in all programs I have used with an instancing brush.

<<

Isaac

KT-Warrior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:11 am

thanks very much,

I know the site, just forgot aboit it.
Dit you make any specular or bump maps, changed these chanels i existing wood material or is this render made with these straight images?

(sorry for changing the subject!!)

regarding the instancing brush tool, you mentioned earlyer:
"or you could just try copying the same patch a few times in a grid"

is it posible to config the grid so, that grass (or other) instances attach right after each other in one direction (some instances rotated 90 degrees ofcourse). I watched the video and played alot to figure this out. But needles to say with no result.
<<

cronicash

KT-Senior

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:18 am

i just used specular from golden pine
<<

outofdate33

KT-Fellow

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:11 am

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:17 am

There is a grid feature in the instancing brush tool, but there is no option for random 90 degree turns.
In the instancing brush > Constraints: Set distance to 0, and X, Y, Z to match to the size of instanced model (in meters).
<<

Isaac

KT-Warrior

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 am

thanks notareal,

I wil try it this friday.
I'f been asking questions and seeking answers all over the forum, got almost all the info i need to finish up my design (at leat i think)

Thanks for the support guys (needless to say...expect more questions)
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:20 am

btw the grid feature is somewhat tricky to use. Easier way might be to use in the modelling application, so you will have much greater control about placement.
Next

Return to Models