[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Planet Model...PLEASE HELP!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Planet Model...PLEASE HELP!

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Sorceress21

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Planet Model...PLEASE HELP!

Hi All,

I have been going out of my mind with this model. I have always wanted to make some good looking original planets for background art with my starships so I gave it a go.
I followed the settings on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8572

For the most part I'm happy. I think I need to tune the spec map for the water a bit more but the big issue is the dark side...I used a synthesis and Fresnel ramps to make the atmosphere but as you can see it's lighting up on the dark side. I also for the life of me cannot understand why the clouds are being lit up. I have no ambient light turned on at all. It seems the synthesis map is causing the cloud map to light up somehow..it's like the light is being refracted through the outer globe (which is what I put the synthesis on) around to the dark side..It renders like this on custom setting. It does not render like this on MLT but I don't like the desaturated look of that preset..

Suggestions?

PLanet.png
<<

Sorceress21

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Re: Planet Model...PLEASE HELP!

Well I fixed the cloud problem by turning off the Specular Sampling for the cloud map..but ,my atmospheric halo is still showing up on the dark side...
<<

Sorceress21

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Fixed one problem..found another..I thought by adding a .png overlay of the ocean only I would get specularity off the water and not the land..but no matter what I do the land is not reflecting flat.

How do you add a layer such as an ocean so just the water reflects specular light? I though cutting out the land in a .png would do it but the missing land area is still reflecting ...

EDIT: I think I have the specularity issue solved but the question of getting the halo to not show up on dark side still stands.
<<

Sorceress21

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:50 pm

Well I have it looking pretty much like I want it..still got the halo on the dark side but got the specularity all figured out..

But now...I got freakin noise!!!!!!!!

I followed the tut on Noise and speckles but it didn't help..

Any suggestions?

Fuzzy.jpg
<<

Sorceress21

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:44 pm

The Root of this whole problem is trying to render a planet that has a specular reflection of the sun on the water but not the land. I have tried this by merging 4 models. A surface map, a clip map that overlays only the water for specularity, cloud map, atmosphere. The first three are all on a single sphere. The atmosphere material is on a slightly larger sphere.

I tried using layers. If that is the way I'm supposed to do it I don't know enough to make it work.

I am sooooooooooooooo close to having this perfect....it's completely aggravating especially because there is probably some simple solution that I just don't have the knowledge to know how to do.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Return to Galleries - Work in Progress