[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Discussion on Wiki's Index Structure
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Discussion on Wiki's Index Structure

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:26 am

Discussion on Wiki's Index Structure

I'm opening this thread becouse the importance to have a well structured and organized index in the Wiki. Some themes can be grouped together, for example in a Glossary, etc.

The current (and updated continuosly) proposal will be in this Thread:
http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... 5548#45548 before reflecting the changes in the Index.

Its a little intimidating to modify the wiki so its easier to discuss it a little here.

At first it can be easier to put general topics, for example "Tutorials", but it will be more efficient to separate as:
Tutorials
-Material Tutorials
-Ilumination Tutorials
-Render Tutorials

It dosen't matter if some theme is empty or not yet written. Lets start with the structure.

The original proposal was (for the logic of the tread):

Kerkythea Rendering System
-An introduction
-Quick Links

Index
- Graphical User Interfase
-- General information
-- Material Editor
-- Render Settings

- Tutorials and Tips
-- Material
-- Render
-- Tools (instances for example)

- Glossary

- FAQ

This proposal is reflecting the changes discussed:

- An introduction

- Getting Started
- Graphical User Interfase
-- General information
-- Material Editor
-- Render Settings

- Tutorials
-- Model
-- Camera
-- Ilumination
-- Material
-- Render
-- Post prod

-- Integration

- Tips
-- Maybe links to diferent parts of the foum

- Glossary

- FAQ
-- How can I...?
-- What is the diference betwen...?
Last edited by Rafa on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 18 times in total.
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:24 am

This is much appreciated, Rafa..!! :D

Just one small note... ;) You seem to be spelling Kerkythea incorrect...
You've spelled: Kerkithea
Should be: Kerkythea

I have edited (corrected) it in the above text... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:32 pm

First, it's fantastic to hear someone else interested in helping with the Wiki... I've been working with it, but I hate doing it (it feels more like coding or programming to me, and I am NOT a programmer).

Second, it's very important, as you say, that we get it well organized.

Third, if you use Mozilla Firefox, it has a built-in spell-check feature. I have 3 languages loaded (Engl. French. Spanish) and can switch to different dictionaries with a simple right-click. ;) try it!

Interfase should be "Interface"
Ilumination should be "Illumination"

etc.
Firefox underlines these words with a red dotted line for me as I type them incorrectly. love it!

Last, I think there should be some sort of 'Getting Started' topic right in the main index, everyone will want to jump right to that. But maybe I'm wrong... I know it belongs under the tutorials heading.

<<

RedSquare

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:28 am

Fanners \:D/
_______
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:33 am

Last edited by Rafa on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:42 am

1) I know that every step is conected to other. But how about adding in the tutorial a section

- Tutorials and Tips
-- Material
-- Illumination and Render
-- Integration

or

- Tutorials and Tips
-- Material
-- Illumination
-- Render
-- Integration

Becouse Ilumination is verey much attached to render, or is important enough to put an independent topic. (I think the second option is the best)

2) I was thinking a special section in the FAQ titled:
What is the diference betwen...

Becouse a lot of basic questions are of this kind; MTL vs PM, Specular vs Reflection, etc.
<<

alex

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:46 am

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
<<

eulgrand

KT-Warrior

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:31 am

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:47 pm

eulgrand is right... need a camera section... it will be empty unless some of the photographers on this site will contribute ( :-w hint hint )

I like the second list with the items seperated out.

the workflow is traditionally...

model
camera
illumination
material
render
postpro

integration

Then I'd put a link under model and camera and illumination to jump to the integration section.

Of course with SketchUp it puts material before illumination... but the traditional workflow is as shown above.

<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:48 pm

OK, I'm going to put Camera and Ilumination together, as a photograpy course.

Edited (the topic entered at the same time I think)

Ok, reflecting changes...
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm

I have a question. Should Tutorials and Tips of Kerky usage, and Tips from Photoshop for example, be separated?

In the forum are separated, Tips and Tricks are for external aplications.

So Model tips are going to be so few, becouse Kerky is not modeling program, or Post prod tips; that topic is mostly covered with render settings (mask, depth, etc.)
Integration is mainly Other aplication, I presume. :-k

Or we let them in the same topic. For example inside Materials we can post a Genetica tutorial? [-X

Maybe the Model tips for kerky can be posted in Tools, and remark Kerky is a Render aplication by omiting Model And Post prod in the first list...

- Tutorials and Tips
-- Preparing the scene (Model)
-- Camera
-- Ilumination
-- Material
-- Render
<<

Max

KT-Warrior

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 pm

fellow kerks... ..i think many users might welcome some kind of image approach (a la Rafa) - getting a screenshot of, say, render settings and then reading arrowed notes connected to the items in each section..

it could be useful not only to beginners, but also as a solid reference for more acquainted kerks -

i would not mind helping but i do not know what the kerk many of the tools actually do - hence the idea ...have to experiment and experiment.. at times the differences are so tiny (or linked to other settings) that the results can escape notice..

---

also... consider some sort of wiki challenge, say 'hedge challenge', 'waterfall' or 'cloud' challenge. forces would then join and the best posted ideas can be judged by all and finally 'wikied'. (winner gets free KT guinness ;)
Attachments
screen.jpg
<<

Rafa

KT-GrandMaster

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 pm

=D> Here is a basis for that Max. Screenshots for almost all Kerky's windows and menus.
http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... 5554#45554

The first goal was for GUI, Then the options in the Menu, but some dialogs are quite extensive, like Materials, so I separate them.

There is a link too. to report broken links on images for the wiki, or to ask for some particular screenshot (In my limited posibilities)
If its necesary I may establish some kind of fileshack to host, specificly, images for the wiki.
Last edited by Rafa on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 pm

My intention all along has been to create a Flash image of the gui that is natural, interactive, pops up info on clicks or hovers... would be very slick, simple, helpful... and take a lot of time to create :?

Rafa's screenshots may be very helpful towards that end.

Rafa, no need to host KT wiki stuff elsewhere, just email me the info and it will be hosted on KT's own servers, thanks ;) ... can't have KT info scattered unpredictably all over the web, now can we? :D

Next

Return to News