[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Announcing Thea Render
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Announcing Thea Render

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

anar

KT-Warrior

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 am

I don't know what to think...
The KT team as done a great work with making KT and let people use it for free.
It seems quite normal that they now want to get a little money for the new Thea render engine.

But I only use free apps (I allways have...). And among them I allways prefer open source apps (which is not the case for KT).
So I will stick with KT or find another alternative.

KT's not dead...
...but it smells funny !

Why not making KT open source ?
That will ensure further development and future version.
I think it's the best way to ensure that KT will live long !

But don't misunderstand me :
I have a very big respect for the KT team and it's community. Nice app for nice people !
So I'd like to wish my very best commercial success to Thea !!!
3D by passion
<<

kyoshojoe

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:32 pm

<<

Inflater

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm

Having read your words at the starting of this thread my first emotion was: “I am VERY pissed!”

But circa one and a half second later my thoughts completely changed. “Kerkythea” is neither OpenSource nor under some free licence model like GPL, BSD, Apache or something. It is a closed source project that benefits from the spare time of you main developers. And Kerykthea is a wonderful render engine. So why should the developers do not earn money from it? Simple: There is no reason why you should not professionally sell your own product. So at last I fully appreciate this step.

You should well consider your professional environment where you are placing “Thea Render”. There is of course “Vray”, there is “Maxwell Render” and a couple of other well developed render engines which are the choice of the – so called – professionals. I don't see any major advantages of Kerykthea/Thea Render compared against the other render engines. Given the background of your renderer it is clearly is the choice of hobbyists and semi-professionals. This should be reflected in the price range.

My very personal opinion is the following: Setting it at around $200 would be an instant buy for myself. Period.

Settling it in the $400 - $500 range would result in thinking more than twice. In this case I would consider “pmG messiah”, which has a wonderful renderer and is also a fully professional animation package. Also – maybe in some cases – the professional version of “Carrara” might come in place. The render engine quality is nowhere near Kerkythea but it has a modeler and it has animation capabilities and it is well backed by either it's owner company and by third party developers.

Setting the price range even higher might prevent it from having success from the start on. For example: Even myself as an enthusiast hobbyist is considering buying the upgrade option of “Maxwell” right now. But I would buy Maxwell because of it's professional recognition in the industry. That's missing by Thea Render.

A fast decision and clear announcement of how much we must pay for the final Thea Render would be very appreciated.

Having said all this I would not be sad if Kerkythea would die and you concentrate on the professional Thea Render.

All the best,
The Inflater
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:24 pm

<<

Inflater

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 pm

<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:12 am

Cheers
Kim Frederik

“…When a decision is made it’s important that you implement it quickly.”
<<

giannis

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 am

<<

Inflater

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 am

<<

Zacchia

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 pm

I always belived in this: Good things have to have a right price. This is true when you buy shoes, cars, furnitures, everithing and also for software. So if someone think Thea is to expensive he can still use the great free Kerkythea. (To get Kerkythea for free is very generously) And if Thea is really what someone needs he has to pay for it. So go one Giannis and tell what you need for it. I do not like this ceap and cheaper all over the word.
<<

voxdei_999

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:32 am

<<

jambak

KT-Senior

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:03 am

i can wait for the thea....
<<

Frederik

KT-Team
KT-Team