FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to: Translucent Green Material

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

dahovey

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:53 am

How to: Translucent Green Material

I am trying to create a translucent green material, but am having trouble. The material looks ok itself, but creates an unpleasant green tinge on the ceiling and walls adjacent to the material.

I am a beginner, but it seems to me because of diffusion right? How do I remove this effect?

Attached is example photo of material in real world, as well the current settings I'm using.

Appreciate your help.
Attachments
3FormGreen.jpg
current material.
<<

dahovey

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 am

Here is example material...
Attachments
RealWorld_017.jpg
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:23 am

Try this http://www.kerkythea.net/phpBB2/viewtop ... 9854#79854
Just need to change colour.
<<

massimo

KT-Wizard

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 am

Try also this one. I've quickly tweakened the material that Notareal suggested accordingly to the image you posted and added a bit of translucency. Enable "volume lighting" under settings-->scene-->global settings before render. You can change the transparency of the material by changing the percentages of weights (see the picture below). The sum of the two weights must be 1.00. :grin:
Attachments
translucent_plastic.jpg
Cattura.JPG
translucent plastic.mat.zip
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:04 am

About "unpleasant green tinge" is called colour bleeding and does happen in real life too. For rendering it might come issue if material breaks rules. Meaning that a build material never should reflect more light that it receives.
<<

dahovey

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for your help! I've been studying the 2007 Material Editor tutorial and I understand that a material should not reflect more light that it receives. So I can setup a basic reflective material with two layers, and fresnel ramp and weighting.

But these multiple layered translucent materials are way above me. The project I'm working on includes a lot of frosted glazing, plexi-glass, with most all of them being internally illuminated. :?

1. Did you add the translucency to the layer with the Transmittance?

2. Do I change the color of the material by changing Absorption?

3. When I change a setting, it takes forever for the material to render, is this normal? I changed The Global settings of the scene to Volume Lighting and it appeared to stop rendering the preview in the Material editor.

4. Is there a tutorial or could you help me understand why it is beneficial to separate the layers this way? For example why keep specular and transmitted in a layered material?
<<

massimo

KT-Wizard

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Not a very technical answer, but hope that helps anyway. :grin:

1. Yes, approximatively. In simple terms they both allow light to pass through a material "diffusely".
(Translucency allows light to pass through a material diffusely and transmittance is the fraction of incident light at a specified wavelength that passes through the material).

2. Yes.

3. That kind of materials takes long time to render I'm afraid, especially with biased presets. So use them with unbiased render methods like MLT, BiPT or MLT & BiPT.

4. Because due to the energy conservation rule in that kind of materials some of the light is reflected and some transmitted through the surface of a material. So the part of light reflected cannot be at the same time transmitted.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:55 pm

also - best to light the scene with light emitting materials, for these to look their best.

Return to F.A.Q. - How do I...