[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Rendering that could take over a year?!
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rendering that could take over a year?!

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

BonesofLaze

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Rendering that could take over a year?!

I've run into the issue of way too long renders with every one of my models, so I attempted to diagnose it with a test model. The model contained simple 3D text, an estimated 1000-2000 polygons, with a basic gold metal texture and using only natural sun as a light source. I set the rendering to Metropolis Light Transport (what was recommended to me since I do mostly interior design), and started the render. I did all this before leaving for a two week vacation. When I came back, the preview looked as expected, but the render was only about 3% done. At that rate, it would take roughly 66 weeks to get a complete render!

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong, or skip a bunch of steps? I'm still novice even though I've been using Kerkythea for over five years, but then I haven't had any successful renders since it takes so long.

Maybe my computer's too weak? I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M75e, 8GB of ram, 2.80 GHz AMD Athlon II X2 B22 processor, and NVIDIA GeForce 610 pci-e graphics card.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Rendering that could take over a year?!

10000 passes is intended to be a random "very long time" setting.
The render is complete whenever you think that it's complete. So if it looks good to you after 60 passes, or after 180 passes, then the rendering is complete. You choose when to stop the progressive rendering methods. The only reason for the number of 10000 is to stop the computer rendering otherwise it will just continue rendering indefinitely. That's the meaning of progressive rendering. It continues refining the solution forever or until you tell it to stop.

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Re: Rendering that could take over a year?!

That said, , and you should definitely consider an upgrade. Rendering 3D graphics is one of the most intense processes you can give your computer. People like to think that Gaming is the toughest job to give your computer, but it's not. Rendering 3D is.

Return to F.A.Q. - How do I...