[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - ktfarm Netrender -or- Net Rendering
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

ktfarm Netrender -or- Net Rendering

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:08 pm

ktfarm Netrender -or- Net Rendering

KTFARM

set of scripts that help managing render pool with kerkythea.

1st phase target: cross-platform usable set of scripts for a very simple renderfarm setup.

2st phase target: added control of the pool. adding a work queue.

current status:

server, client, customer script frames scripted.
server can distribute tasks to clients.
customer can request a task from server.

Big things left to be done:

kt interfacing
the server must be able to modify the kzx scene to include the server and client configuration there. Will propably be done with a kst scripting. Thanks to mr. G for giving me some info on the commands.

Other actions:
sourceforge project generated, svn will be taken into use when the first functional build is ready.
Tracker will be taken into use at the same time.
Tutorial and documentation will be provided then.

15.2.2008 update:
managed to get the child process invocation working from the script.
Current status is that i can render the scene on all machines in the pool with just 1 command. Bit more tweaking and this will be dangerously close to being borderline useful, which usually means that the development stalls :)

Long time since i've done coding, its hard to believe how much one can forget in a short time.
-
core 2 quad 2.4g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 1.8g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 2.4g, OS-X 10.4 darwin 8.11.1
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:45 pm

<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:51 pm

<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:06 am

-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 am

I'm still lagging bit with the kt script implementation, this is mostly because i kinda don't feel at home with the scripting system of KT altough it seems very user-friendly.

If somebody can provide me with the following:

what lines do i need to include in a kst script to make
a) a client render to host <ip>
b) a server render with port <port>

so that all the client side implementation of the kt-farm would need to do is take the target kt file, make the script and submit it to clients.

i'll next start to work on the job control, so far the implementation allows for a centraliced start of rendering a kt file from the share location but no controls on stopping them.

did a client implementation to a java server with net services/SOAP last week on another thing, i have to say it was much more handy than tampering with the tpc/ips.. i might switch the implementation to SOAP at some point.

anyways, the plan is to get a basic setup for controlling the pool up and running quite soon, then publish the sources and everybody can implement nice shiny things on top of it. (sourceforge project created)
-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:52 pm

Did some work on the project today, heres a crappy preview video with my finnish-rally-driver english.

mp4 version: 49megs

:arrow: 49Mb

What i'm doing here is starting a network render of a scene through the ktfarm implementation. It might not look like much (it really isn't :P) but note that while i'm only using 2 machines now, the same single command-line call could have started the render on any number of machines.

I actually ran into some unexpected trouble today while implementing the job control on the client side, don't seem to be able to kill the kt processes i start for some reason. Since now i have to actually learn how to do this the coding will take a bit longer :)

So currently you can start a great number of renders with just one line but you can't stop them exept by hand on each machine. This obviously sucks so i'll try to get it fixed. (Until then i'll just try not to run any 10000 long MLT renders ;))

If you have patience, access to a number of machines greater than 3 and want to try this out gimme a private message and i'll give you the sources with some basic instructions. I can add everything here also on this thread but won't provide any info on how to use it untill it is finished to the point that i feel quite sure that i won't change the user interface anymore.

br,
lekonna
-
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:04 pm

:shock:
I'm glad you are working on this, my friend! This is fantastic if you have a small farm at home so you don't have to go start it on each of the other machines.

Applying render settings to be the client, then saving that scene is really a clever idea. I hadn't thought of that.

One teensy tiny question... do you have to be logged into the client machine, or will it render even if no one is logged onto the machine?

This is the key for our firm.

I have a feeling I already know your answer. 8-[
Running KT as a service is a whole new ball game.

But I'm also curious, Lekonna, why you have not tried to implement one of the many free distributed render engines?

I can post a link to several I was looking at, but I'm not enough of a power geek to try them out. I need something like the video tut you made here to know how to do it. (hence why I'm big on making tuts for KT for new users)

This is really promising! I hope you will keep going! [-o<
Last edited by Fletch on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:45 pm

Hi Fletch!

The fiddling about with applying the client info on the KT is bit of a hack still, the idea was for the clients to make their own little kst scripts with their individual settings and run them instead of the kzx file.

Yeah i looked also into dr.queue and such but frankly i thought that i'd be easier (and more intresting) to do a custom solution for myself. Also when starting this i didn't really know much about client-server coding and was quite intrested in finding out how to manage the threads, communication and such.

About running the script if not logged on, interesting question.

I'd say that if you just add a scheduled task that is run every time that the machine starts which basicly just starts the client, this should be enough.

The task needs be run with user rights that have access to the share and needs to know the pool server ip. This pool server how-ever can be almost any machine which has enough power to run perl, so you can run this on your coffee machine. I was thinking about using my NSLU-2 linux box for the ktfarm server machine. (farm server is different from the actual kt server that does the rendering)

btw, i tried the scheduled task but for some reason it's not working. I'll see if i can look into this in later phase. Can't really figure out whats wrong with it.. the task itself works fine when i manually run it but on startup it doesn't seem to want to co-operate.

br,
Lekonna
-
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 am

<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:48 am

-
<<

upshot

KT-Fellow

Post Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:06 pm

<<

upshot

KT-Fellow

Post Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am

just checking in... any progress? I'd really like to test this out...
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 20, 2008 6:56 pm

<<

maKe_Studio

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:04 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team