[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - HELLLLPPP, new hardware for best rendering time..
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HELLLLPPP, new hardware for best rendering time..

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

jdkennington

Post Tue May 24, 2011 2:13 am

Help with hardware
I'm about to buy a computer And I am bafled by a the apperant difrence between a Phenom x6 or a i7 2600k one is 6 core but the other is 4 core 8 thread.

Can I compare core against thread ? or how do I compare ?

Do I compare 6 vs 4
or
Do I compare 6 vs 8

This is specificaly a question for rendering with KT

This is a big dilema for me, please help.
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 pm

6 cores, single threads
4 cores, hyperthreads (2 threads per core)

to see performance with KT, take clock speed and multiply by #threads:

which Phenom are you talking about?
I'll go with ... (3.3Ghz)

with a (3.2Ghz)

So, 3.3x6=19.8Ghz processing on your render with the Phenom

The 2600k is 3.4Ghz
So, 3.4x8=27.2Ghz processing on your render with the Corei7

27.2/19.8=1.37, so the Corei7 is 1.37 times faster than the Phenom.

Here's a

Not much to think about there... the little money saved is not worth the increased render times. (IMHO)
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desk ... .html?prod[4785]=on&prod[4757]=on

Get the 2600k, and overclock it to over 4Ghz and you are a very happy camper.

(overclock at your own risk and only with guidance from folks that know what they are doing - like at overclockersclub.com)

Previous

Return to Off Topic