[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Export 3D model to a game or FPS-style navigator
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Export 3D model to a game or FPS-style navigator

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

IntelCoreDuo

KT-Fellow

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 am

Export 3D model to a game or FPS-style navigator

Hello, I am an architect who uses SketchUp, Revit and AutoCAD to create 3D models. I am very frustrated by how difficult it is to inspect these models, and get a feeling of how it will look. Sketchup walthrough is great, but very slow and laggy with big models. The other programs are hopeless, I don't want to export an animation, but simply to walk around the model/landscape like I do in Battlefield, Mount&Blade or any other game.

Why has no 3D modelling program managed to make a walkthrough engine as intuitive, fast and useful as the simplest FPS game? And more importantly, is there any software or game that lets me import my 3D model to walk around in? Maybe some open-source game that allows imported models in CAD or 3D object format? I simply want to look around using WASD control and mouse to look around, I don't care if it means a gun and crosshair must be included.
<<

tridem

KT-Master

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 pm

There are a lot of engines that can do this kind of work, what you need is a realtime engine...but normally they are not so easy to use since they're conceived for game development.
If you want a open source solution Blender Game Engine is the answer.
If you want a easy solution you should take a look to Lumion or Twinmotion that are dedicated to the archiviz :wink:
<<

IntelCoreDuo

KT-Fellow

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks a lot! I am disappointed to hear that game designers are expected to deal with less easy to use programs than architects. :lol:
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 pm

As an expert in all programs you mentioned, cad, revit, sketchup, I can say that I, too, am blown away with how absolutely archaic Revit and CAD are for looking at a model... which is why I've resolved to never give them another dime of my money. (I'm a registered architect and designer)
SketchUp's the only one that is close to being "ok" for this, make sure you are using the latest version, and play with the openGL settings, and make sure you have a good video card.

<<

IntelCoreDuo

KT-Fellow

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:17 am

<<

Rob D

KT-Senior

Post Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 am

"The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes"
<<

vighlin

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Re:

Return to Off Topic