[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - my own personal render farm?
FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

my own personal render farm?

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

HSDStudio

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:39 pm

my own personal render farm?

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:48 pm

the possibility exists.
for $970 on (8 cores at 2.66ghz) which would be equal probably to all 12 of those old computers... with a lot less noise/trouble/power consumption.

<<

Ecuadorian

KT-Warrior

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Let's see... I currently own a Core2Duo E6300, which, according to my tests, has 2.5x the speed of my old Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, which, again according to my tests, is around 1.8x the speed of my old Pentium 4 2.0 GHz.

According to TomsHardware.com tests, the Core i7 920 is 3.5x times as fast as my current Core2Duo. This means that a PC with the Core i7 920 is equivalent to:

8.75 PCs equipped with a Pentium 4 2.4GHz (before hyperthreading)
15.75 PCs equipped with a Pentium 4 2.0GHz

So Fletch is right.
<<

HSDStudio

KT-Explorer

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:55 pm

wow thats a fantastic price for that much power, thanks guys!
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:57 pm

(see also )

I ran a direct test of the core i7 w/ identical KT scene on my old Pent.4 2ghz. the core i7 2.66 ghz rendered the scene 9x faster. so... if one core at 2ghz is against 8 at 2.66... the math works out to about 9 computers. not bad for $970... and next year it will be 16 cores for that price I'm sure. Now if I overclocked it... could be equal to 10 or 12...

someone just let me know this:
Ran across this text in a hardware review....

"We have it on good authority that Windows 7 the core operating system will also for the first time take advantage of Parallel computing. Windows 7 will be able to offload part of it's tasks to the GPU. That's a really exciting development and we expect to see more of the computing load shifted to the GPU as Windows evolves. Given the inherent power of GPU computing, as anyone that has done Folding At Home on a GPU knows, this opens up whole new vistas of computing possibilities. Who knows we may see the day when the GPU does the bulk of computing and the CPU just initiates the process. That's of course made possible by close cooperation of Nvidia and Microsoft and may be an early indication of widespread acceptance of Parallel computing and CUDA.

This suggests that Windows can send some code to execute directly on the graphics card (if it is an NVidia card).

Heard of this being done as part of the O/S before?"

Of course, if you were on Linux, you'd have 16 cores now, I believe...

<<

iwanwidjaja

KT-Warrior

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi guys, need some help here

My office giving me the right to build 2 more machine for rendering task =) sounds fun for a while, till i search the web to find the right specs, both on budget and performance...so I start with deciding what proc will be used...

To build 2 machine with intel i7 each is my dream =D, but seems the budget wont fit [because other component to fit in with the proc is expensive still T.T ]. So i decide to go with core2quad or the phenom II X4. Visit the website and being more confuse ahahahahahaha. What does cache effect on rendering task? The l1 cache, l2 cache, l3 cache things and so on, it confuse me a little bit...... Could anyone give some comparison or personal experience using amd / intel proc?
<<

iwanwidjaja

KT-Warrior

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:18 am

Found some enlightment and

I think ill stick with amd phenom ii x4 proc for now... next things to do is find the right mother board... any suggest?
<<

notareal

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:58 pm

<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:25 pm

corei7 all the way. it hyperthreads to be 8 cores... all used by KT very efficiently.

you don't need a big hard drive, you don't need a great graphics card, if it's just a render machine... so save you money on those and just get one good corei7 machine... probably could get 2 for your budget... but I don't know your budget.

notareal and vosko both know what they're talking about here... I'd listen to them. (oh yeah, I DID)

Return to Off Topic