[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Kerkythea Rendering System • View topic - Network rendering
This forum board is in read-only mode.
FAQ  •  Login

Network rendering

Moderator: ModeratorGroup

<<

giannis

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:02 am

Network rendering

I think I fixed it!!! :D

please download these versions (contain only binaries) and give it a test!

windows:

macosx:

pass: ktserc

There are 2 issues pending though:
1. A design issue when rendering big unbiased images. The server/client
may crash due to insufficient memory. I should use the disk for sending
the image... :?
2. PowerPC & Intel can not be networked!!

I think i can fix them by this weekend.

PLEASE!!!! GIVE NETWORK RENDERING A SERIOUS TRY!!!
IT SHOULD ALSO BE CROSS-PLATFORM ABLE!!!

thanks
giannis
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 am

OK.

G, i'll try to sneak out of the office in next 30minutes and go setup at home with network rendering and see what happens.
-
core 2 quad 2.4g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 1.8g, win xp sp2
core 2 duo 2.4g, OS-X 10.4 darwin 8.11.1
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Ok I'm set up with 2 windows machines currently,

what tests you wan't me to run? what was changed and the way to use it please :)

Currently i'm running a server+client render of the same scene from network drive, seems to be working like it did previously.
-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Problems MAC:
still opening a file through a network share in KT takes 100 times more than copying the file in the finder to local disk and opening from there.
Not a network issue, does not happen in other applications.
-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:10 pm

Tested and verified so far:

2 machine network windows-windows
Scene loaded from a shared drive
Subscribing the client wen't ok, rendering and sending commits goes ok. 2 machine network win-win still verified: works.

3 Machine network with 1 windows server 1 windows client and 1 macOSX client.

Scene loaded from a shared drive (Exept mac which was impossible, copied locally there) then started a mtl render of the scene.

Network log on server shows index 0 and index 1 as clients (no address shown on mac machine)

observations:
The quick view and render image windows both are black on the mac.
the network log shows now ? on the index part, used to be the green ball.
No commits went through from the mac machine.

Tried to restart the mac client.
restart froze on subscribing client 0%.
tried to stop server, server froze for 10 minutes, then stopped.
tried to stop windows client, froze on 0% sending image to server hasn't recovered yet.

I'll force kill all applications and started from scratch
this is a time-line type of description of what i did and what happens :D

Run 2:
started server same procedure as previously
started mac client, subscribing ok shows as index 0 no address
mac preview and quick view looks OK
starting the windows client, client starts rendering.
only index 0 visible in network log of server.
mac has done 3 passes 0 commits on log
index 1 shows up on the network log with the address correctly displayed but threads show 0
next:
1 commit comes to index 0 (mac) right after the windows client finishes its first pass. index 1 goes to ? and the render image on the windows client starts again from black.
contribution shows 23.26% on index 0. server has done 6 passees, win-client 1 and mac-client 7

I think i'll stop this reporting now since even i'm getting confused. I'll wait for further instructions on how to test and try then again.

thread setup used: server 4 clients 2
Attachments
clients.jpg
-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 pm

now after 40 minutes there is 7 commits on the fist index and 2 on the second.
-
<<

Fletch

KT-Team
KT-Team

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 pm

He Lekonna,

previously netrendering unbiased methods was broken.... (even when they claimed to be contributing, the image did not seem to be getting better any faster than usual.) Did you notice in your test that the MLT you ran actually was clearing up?

Also, in the past when MLT was contributing for me from 2 other machines, I left them over night, and by morning the two clients had 'crashed' or at least had some error and quit. So we need a long test render to see if it works for quite a while... like 12hrs.

personally I will not use cross-platform net rendering... and it seems to me it's a very very specific specialty... but maybe it's just me... I guess Tomasz, too, has access to both types of machines at his office.

but the need for the test is to make sure the netrendering an MLT or PTP or other unbiased method is actually working... that is, that it's actually clearing up faster.

I will try to do this at work today.

The problem with the 'package' is that it requires an install... and at my firm installing betas, even of KT, is deeply frowned upon... so I need to do it with the proper 'guidance and supervision'.

I should be able to get some help with this today... and if I can PTP and MLT on at least 6 machines, I will be very happy and should be able to see if it works (actually increase speed of clarity in render).

<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:52 pm

so far the image seems pretty clear. I'll let it run for few more minutes and then do a render with same duration with the server only so we can compare
-
<<

lekonna

KT-Explorer

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Attachments
farm1h_10mins.jpg
-